Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> on 2007/03/27 08:36:08 UTC

Error attempting to compile working_vm on x86_64 Linux Platform

I'm interested in testing Apache Geronimo on Harmony.

So, I checked out Harmony and followed the getting setup
instructions.  I am building on a Open SuSE  10.2 system.  The
working_classlib builds successfully and I am now building the
working_vm portion.  During this build I am getting a compilation
error during the native vm.core.  Specifically in module
finalizer_thread.cpp (see the specific error below).

         === Begin Ant Build Muck ===

build.native.init:
      [echo] ## Building native of 'vm.vmcore'
     [mkdir] Created dir: /home/hogstrom/harmony/enhanced/trunk/
working_vm/build/lnx_em64t_gcc_release/semis/vm/vmcore/_bin
     [mkdir] Created dir: /home/hogstrom/harmony/enhanced/trunk/
working_vm/build/lnx_em64t_gcc_release/semis/vm/vmcore/_obj

build.native.c:
        [cc] 0 total files to be compiled.

build.native.cpp:
        [cc] 154 total files to be compiled.
        [cc] /home/hogstrom/harmony/enhanced/trunk/working_vm/vm/
vmcore/src/init/finalizer_thread.cpp: In function ‘IDATA
finalizer_thread_func(void**)’:
        [cc] /home/hogstrom/harmony/enhanced/trunk/working_vm/vm/
vmcore/src/init/finalizer_thread.cpp:174: error: cast from ‘void*’ to
‘int’ loses precision

         === End Ant Build Muck ===

I expect I'm missing an obvious setup issue for the X86_64
environment.  If y'all have a suggestion that would be most excellent.

Here is some info on my environment:

uname -a yields:
Linux nique 2.6.18.2-34-default #1 SMP Mon Nov 27 11:46:27 UTC 2006
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

hogstrom@nique:~/harmony/enhanced/trunk/working_vm/build> gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: x86_64-suse-linux
Configured with: ../configure --enable-threads=posix --prefix=/usr --
with-local-prefix=/usr/local --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/
share/man --libdir=/usr/lib64 --libexecdir=/usr/lib64 --enable-
languages=c,c++,objc,fortran,obj-c++,java,ada --enable-
checking=release --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.1.2 --
enable-ssp --disable-libssp --disable-libgcj --with-slibdir=/lib64 --
with-system-zlib --enable-shared --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-
libstdcxx-allocator=new --program-suffix=-4.1 --enable-version-
specific-runtime-libs --without-system-libunwind --with-cpu=generic --
host=x86_64-suse-linux
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.1.2 20061115 (prerelease) (SUSE Linux)

According to the install instructions 3.1.1 I think was the minimum
GCC level.  This one seems to be fairly current.

I can provide more info if needed but hopefully this will be enuf.

Thanks in advance.

Matt Hogstrom

Re: [drlvm][build] Error attempting to compile working_vm on x86_64 Linux Platform

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.
2007/3/27, Gregory Shimansky <gs...@gmail.com>:
> Vladimir Ivanov wrote:
> > On 3/27/07, Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> How to fix it in SVN?
>
> I've fixed this in 522890.

Thanks!

The commit for HARMONY-3485 added a local

Fwd: [drlvm][build] Error attempting to compile working_vm on x86_64 Linux Platform

Posted by Xiao-Feng Li <xi...@gmail.com>.
Ok, will get a GCC4.1.1 to correct the issue. Thanks.

xiaofeng

I've fixed this in 522890. The commit for HARMONY-3485 added a local

Posted by Gregory Shimansky <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vladimir Ivanov <iv...@gmail.com>.
On 3/27/07, Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How to fix it in SVN?
>
> Do we have a CC configuration that caught this problem?

Actually, no. We have CC on top of SUSE 9 with gcc 3.3.3. And it
reports 'passed' status.

 thanks, Vladimir

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.
How to fix it in SVN?

Posted by Pavel Pervov <pm...@gmail.com>.
Matt,

Re: Error attempting to compile working_vm on x86_64 Linux Platform

Posted by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com>.
Hi Matt,

FYI, we offer snapshots[1] so you may use them for testing. Also there
is a status page[2] on wiki for Apache Geronimo. If you have any
results could you add them to the page?

[1] http://harmony.apache.org/downloads.html
[2] http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/Apache_Geronimo

Thanks,