Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org> on 2007/03/14 03:45:32 UTC

Re: About bundling JavaScript with frameworks

On 2/20/07, Roy T. Fielding <fi...@gbiv.com> wrote:
> On Feb 20, 2007, at 12:29 PM, Howard Lewis Ship wrote:
>
> > OK, just to double check:
> >
> > I can include outside works (the javascript libraries) in my project.
> >
> > The libraries will be checked into Apache SVN, but will maintain the
> > copyright notice of the original author.
>
> If they are outside libraries and you are not making changes to them,
> then they don't belong in our subversion.  They should only be added
> to release builds.

Sorry for getting to this one late.

I don't think we can draw this line here - if the distribution will
contain the 3rd party library then keeping it in SVN seems prudent.
Otherwise you're at the whim and mercy of a 3rd party URL.

In many cases I suspect we don't keep it in SVN simply because it's
available from the Maven repository - so be it, but I don't think we
can take those cases to be the rule.

Hen

Re: About bundling JavaScript with frameworks

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.
On 3/14/07, Roy T. Fielding <fi...@gbiv.com> wrote:
> On Mar 13, 2007, at 7:45 PM, Henri Yandell wrote:
> > I don't think we can draw this line here - if the distribution will
> > contain the 3rd party library then keeping it in SVN seems prudent.
> > Otherwise you're at the whim and mercy of a 3rd party URL.
>
> So?  That URL will change.  If it disappears entirely, you had better
> have the source code on hand anyway.
>
> > In many cases I suspect we don't keep it in SVN simply because it's
> > available from the Maven repository - so be it, but I don't think we
> > can take those cases to be the rule.
>
> No, we don't keep it in SVN because it is a big honking file that
> isn't subject to version control and isn't in open source code form.
> Our foundation creates open source and ONLY open source -- binaries
> are only redistributed as a convenience to end-users with releases.
> If we have third-party code in subversion, then it is in source code
> form and it is there because we have made local changes.  Otherwise,
> the module should not be in subversion -- it should be downloaded by
> whatever build script is used by the developers to construct a
> testable package.

Not a policy currently in force at the ASF. Even with the spread of
the Maven repository, there must be lots of projects left that have
lib/ directories etc.

This sounds like it isn't a legal issue - so we should move to another
list like Infra if we want it to be a policy.

Hen

Re: About bundling JavaScript with frameworks

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On Mar 13, 2007, at 7:45 PM, Henri Yandell wrote:
> I don't think we can draw this line here - if the distribution will
> contain the 3rd party library then keeping it in SVN seems prudent.
> Otherwise you're at the whim and mercy of a 3rd party URL.

So?  That URL will change.  If it disappears entirely, you had better
have the source code on hand anyway.

> In many cases I suspect we don't keep it in SVN simply because it's
> available from the Maven repository - so be it, but I don't think we
> can take those cases to be the rule.

No, we don't keep it in SVN because it is a big honking file that
isn't subject to version control and isn't in open source code form.
Our foundation creates open source and ONLY open source -- binaries
are only redistributed as a convenience to end-users with releases.
If we have third-party code in subversion, then it is in source code
form and it is there because we have made local changes.  Otherwise,
the module should not be in subversion -- it should be downloaded by
whatever build script is used by the developers to construct a
testable package.

The only exceptions are for subversion modules that are not products,
like the site modules that usually contain whatever jars are necessary
to build the site.

....Roy