Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Erik Holstad <er...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/09 23:34:33 UTC

Re: Simple startup!

Hi!
I tried to change the localhost argument to the actual address found in the
/etc/hosts file
but I ended up with the same thing as before, that Hbase was unable to
connect to
the database. The weird thing is that I installed it the same way on an
Ubuntu machine
and there it worked perfectly.
Regards Erik

Re: Simple startup!

Posted by Erik Holstad <er...@gmail.com>.
I had the : there from the beginning but I tried again, and also made a new
table to see if that would help, but not.
When trying to insert a value into a column and row the following line is
used:

curl -v -T /tmp/diff.txt http://localhost:60010/api/y/row/1?column=y:1
where diff.txt is just the > from the output of:
curl -v http://localhost:60010/api/y/row/1 > /tmp/diff.txt

don't think that this could be right, but not sure where to get and put the
files.

Regards Erik

Re: Simple startup!

Posted by stack <st...@duboce.net>.
The doc. on the wiki may be stale.  Can you add the ':' to the column
family name and see if it works then?
St.Ack

Re: Simple startup!

Re: Simple startup!

Posted by Erik Holstad <er...@gmail.com>.
Hey!
I got hbase running  on both the new Kubuntu and the old Ubuntu, but not on
the new Ubuntu and still the same problem
with Fedora 8. I managed to start hbase without hadoop last week, but today
I'm back to have to start hadoop, so I guess
there is something that I'm missing now.
Erik

Re: Simple startup!

Posted by Erik Holstad <er...@gmail.com>.
Hi!
Not really, but I will try on Hardy today, I think that the issue is like
said earlier, with some kind of firewall.
But I didn't get it to work without Hadoop either, it just said the same
thing while building the table.
<configuration>
        <property>
                <name>hbase.rootdir</name>
                <value>hdfs://192.168.249.65:9000/hbase</value>
                <description></description>
        </property>

        <property>
                <name>hbase.master</name>
                <value>192.168.249.65:60000</value>
                <description>The host and port that the HBase master runs
at.
                TODO: Support 'local' (All running in single context).
                </description>
        </property>
</configuration>

with this site file

Regards Erik

Re: Simple startup!

Posted by stack <st...@duboce.net>.
Any luck configuring your network Erik (after our IRC chat)?
St.Ack

Re: Simple startup!

Re: Simple startup!

Posted by stack <st...@duboce.net>.
Tell us more Erik.

You changed hbase.master to be some IP?

Then you started hbase and an hbase client was unable to connect to the
hbase master?  Was client on same machine as the master?  Did the client
hbase-site.xml have the master's IP?

St.Ack