Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com> on 2012/11/15 17:54:57 UTC

Re: Is it a good time to remove the "debian" folder?

This is now completed at rev. 1409880

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Attic

Jacopo

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.
On 11/15/2012 11:49 AM, Adam Heath wrote:
> 4: Start filing issue trees in jira for pure upstream work.  This
> would include things like removing embedded libraries(maybe a
> post-download kinda thing).

(responding to myself).

Debian-policy says that any upload to main(and therefore is DFSG),
must *only* be source.  No pre-compiled stuff.  This is what is meant
by the 'preferred form for modification' aspect of licenses.
Pre-compiled embedded jars in the *source* upload run afowl of that.

To fix that, obviously means the source upload of ofbiz into debian
will not contain the jars.  It would actually be ok for the svn repo
itself to contain the jars, but then the zip/tarball I would download
from some webpage should not contain them.  Being able to use an
upstream download directly, means that the md5sum(or other hash) would
match upstream, and it's easier to verify what has and has not been
changed.

However, now that the jars have been removed, ofbiz doesn't magically
stop requiring them.  So, somehow they have to be made available.
That requires making debian packages of *all* the other projects,
going back to the original *source* and compiling them, etc.  And
again following this no-precompiled-rule recursively thru all of the
dependants.

Re: Is it a good time to remove the "debian" folder?

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Adam Heath wrote:
> On 11/15/2012 10:54 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>> This is now completed at rev. 1409880
>>
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Attic
>>
>> Jacopo
>>
>> On Jul 26, 2012, at 8:09 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>>
>>> ... the removal will be documented, as usual, in the "Attic" page:
>>>
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Attic
>
> Hmm, sad.  I understand the reasoning, and I've been super busy at
> work, and missed both the original email and this final one.  Ean had
> to poke me about it.
>
> The debian folder *does* function, and will produce proper
> debian-policy-compliant debs.  The only reason you don't see it
> uploaded to debian.org(I am also a debian developer, or used to be),
> is that ofbiz embeds outside libraries in side it, and that is not
> allowed for an upload to debian main.
>
> I'd like to keep this around, but I also understand the desire to keep
> ofbiz upstream clean.  Here are my thoughts, based on a discussion Ean
> and I *just* had here at work.
>
> 1: Create a fork of ofbiz on github.  Git is much better for
> distributed development.
> 2: Re-add this debian folder from the attic.
> 3: Import any changes I might have locally.  This should be small, as
> I was mostly upstream(I need to check a few older branches).
> 3: Announce this branch as the location for debian development.
> *Only* changes to make debian integration should be placed here.
> 4: Start filing issue trees in jira for pure upstream work.  This
> would include things like removing embedded libraries(maybe a
> post-download kinda thing).

+1, this sounds good to me, and could be an example on how to build from Apache Extra components (the other way would be to use Neogia "addons")

Jacques

Re: Is it a good time to remove the "debian" folder?

Posted by Olivier Heintz <ho...@nereide.biz>.
Hi Adam,

If you think that for visibility, it's good to create a ofbiz-debian
project on ofbiz-extra, I can do it until you have time to manage it.

Olivier

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Bump

Jacques

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Could you please verify this with Daniel? He asked me to which address you sent it (US or Hungary)...

Thank you,

Jacopo

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.