Posted to dev@bookkeeper.apache.org by Nicolò Boschi <bo...@gmail.com> on 2022/04/01 13:15:05 UTC

Revert RocksDB upgrade on BookKeeper branch 4.14?

Hi all,

this is a follow-up discussion about the RocksDB upgrade that happened at
yesterday's Apache Pulsar community meeting (
https://lists.apache.org/thread/tq7dsws72zf9r7qzr4l567z9w346ksbm).

We're going to release BookKeeper 4.14.5 in the next few days and there is
a decision to make about breaking runtime compatibility on the Bookies side
(BK clients should not be affected).

RocksDB 6.17.3 breaks runtime compatibility with older versions and it
requires the code to be recompiled.
Lari did a great investigation and you can find more details in this Apache
Pulsar pull https://github.com/apache/pulsar/pull/14962

The main reason to upgrade RocksDB is the Apple M1 compatibility.

I see two options:
1) Do not upgrade RocksDB in BookKeeper 4.14.5 and give the user which uses
RocksDB an easy path to upgrade from BK 4.14.4 to 4.14.5
2) Upgrade RocksDB and requires to all the BK users to pay attention to the
RocksDB version they have in the classpath. The risk is to have runtime
errors which will require them to rebuild the application and redeploy
their services.

Given that we are also releasing 4.15.0 (with the RocksDB upgrade), I think
it would be much safer to go with option 1.

At the moment the RocksDB upgrade is already cherry-picked in 4.14, so we
eventually have to revert it.

BR,
Nicolò Boschi

Re: Revert RocksDB upgrade on BookKeeper branch 4.14?

Posted by Hang Chen <ch...@apache.org>.
+1

Thanks,
Hang