Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Stefano Lenzi <ki...@interfree.it> on 2007/09/20 19:45:17 UTC

Felix Coding Style

Hi All,

I would like to discuss two point:

  - Should Felix use only a Code Style or should rely on other project
code style when the component created by Felix is used into other
projects? For instance: should the Maven plugin maintained by Felix use
the Maven code style or Felix code style?

  - I know that Clement has create a Checksytle and a Eclipse formatter
complaint to the Felix coding style. I think that we reserve a location
in our repository for providing such file to developer and also try to
keep it updated. It's worth to notice that the Checkstyle configuration
file could be both by Maven and IDE.

Ciao,
Stefano "Kismet" Lenzi

Re: Plugins and wrappers (Was: Re: Felix Coding Style)

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <st...@jayway.net>.
On 21/09/2007, Richard S. Hall <he...@ungoverned.org> wrote:

> Marcel Offermans wrote:
> > On Sep 20, 2007, at 21:37 , Richard S. Hall wrote:
> >

> >> For me, I am not so sure about this one. I am not sure if makes
> >> sense, for example, for us to donate the bundle plugin to Maven,
> >> since the area of expertise around OSGi is in Felix, so if people
> >> have questions about stuff they will likely want answers from us, not
> >> from Maven guys. However, if Maven started to become much more
> >> OSGi-centered, then my position on this could change.
> >
> >> From my point of view, it makes sense that we (i.e., Felix community)
> >> develop tools that make it easier for people to use Felix (e.g.,
> >> bundleplugin). The fact that bundleplugin uses Maven is just an
> >> implementation issue. For example, mangen does a similar job as
> >> bundleplugin, but it is not based on maven, so what would we do with
> >> that? Of course, we wouldn't do anything with it. The point is that
> >> we are making tools to help people use Felix and these tools should
> >> be part of the Felix project, no matter what technology they are
> >> implemented on top of.
> >
> > That's another way to look at things. Another approach could be to not
> > only donate the code to other projects, but (as a figure of speech)
> > donate the developer(s) too and have them maintain the code in another
> > project.
>
> To me, this would just dilute the expertise in the Felix community and
> would require that users know where to ask their OSGi questions, rather
> than just coming to Felix for all of their OSGi questions.

another benefit of keeping such tools/plugins at Felix is that people may
drop by looking for a plugin and find out about the framework - if all the
tools were on other sites they could end up sticking with Equinox ;)

--
Cheers, Stuart

Re: Plugins and wrappers (Was: Re: Felix Coding Style)

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.

RE: Felix Coding Style

Posted by Clement Escoffier <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Of course, I donate these files :
http://clement.plop-plop.net/downloads/style/

(Checkstyle can directly point on it)

But to be honest, I do not follow the Apache coding standard (specially on
'{' and '}' position and empty line). That's why there is an iPOJO
checkstyle file.

Clement

Re: Felix Coding Style

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.

Re: Felix Coding Style

Posted by Stefano Lenzi <ki...@interfree.it>.
Richard S. Hall wrote:
> Marcel Offermans wrote:
>> Hi Stefano,
>>
>> On Sep 20, 2007, at 19:45 , Stefano Lenzi wrote:
>>
>>> I would like to discuss two point:
[cut]

Re: Felix Coding Style

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Marcel Offermans wrote:
> Hi Stefano,
>
> On Sep 20, 2007, at 19:45 , Stefano Lenzi wrote:
>
>> I would like to discuss two point:
>
>>  - Should Felix use only a Code Style or should rely on other project
>> code style when the component created by Felix is used into other
>> projects? For instance: should the Maven plugin maintained by Felix
>> use the Maven code style or Felix code style?
>
> I think that everything we develop in our repository should use the
> code style we defined. Using code styles of other projects seems more
> confusing to me.

+1

> Another issue, but that's not the discussion of this thread, is if we
> should maintain for example Maven plugins in the Felix project at all.
> We had the same discussion for the commons wrappers already.
> Eventually, I would like to donate those pieces of code to the
> respective projects.
>
> But, back to this discussion...

For me, I am not so sure about this one. I am not sure if makes sense,
for example, for us to donate the bundle plugin to Maven, since the area
of expertise around OSGi is in Felix, so if people have questions about
stuff they will likely want answers from us, not from Maven guys.
However, if Maven started to become much more OSGi-centered, then my
position on this could change.

 From my point of view, it makes sense that we (i.e., Felix community)

Re: Felix Coding Style

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <st...@jayway.net>.
On 21/09/2007, Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl> wrote:

> I think that everything we develop in our repository should use the
> code style we defined. Using code styles of other projects seems more
> confusing to me.

agreed - I'm hoping to apply the Felix coding standard to the bundleplugin
at some point

--
Cheers, Stuart

Re: Felix Coding Style