Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Kimberly Begley <ki...@gmail.com> on 2008/02/28 07:07:01 UTC

file upload servlet

Hi - I'm trying to compile come java code to upload a file but am getting
errors - it looks like it can't find the javax.servlet stuff to import and
from what I've read online everyone talks about having the directory in the
classpath but I have also read not to mess with my classpath - I'm trying to
compile it from my catalina_home/webapps/appname/WEB_INF directory - does
anyone have any suggestions? I'm sure it's obvious but I just can't see it.

This is my java file:
FileUploadBean.java

package foo;

import java.io.*;
import java.net.*;

import javax.servlet.*;
import javax.servlet.http.*;

public class FileUploadBean extends HttpServlet {

        public void doUpload(HttpServletRequest request) throws
                IOException {
            PrintWriter pw = new PrintWriter(
                    new BufferedWriter(new FileWriter("Demo.out")));
            ServletInputStream in = request.getInputStream();

            int i = in.read();
            while (i != -1) {
                pw.print((char) i);
                i = in.read();
            }
            pw.close();
        }
    }

and my jsp page looks like this:

<%@ page import="java.util.*" %>
<%@ page import="java.lang.*" %>
<%--
         ResourceBundle bundle =null;
         public void jspInit() {
            bundle = ResourceBundle.getBundle("forms");
      }
--%>

<jsp:useBean id="TheBean" scope="page" class="foo.FileUploadBean " />
<%
            TheBean.doUpload(request);
%>

When run "javac -d . FileUploadBean.java" I get this error:

javac -d . FileUploadBean.java
----------
1. ERROR in FileUploadBean.java (at line 3)
        import javax.servlet.*;
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The import javax.servlet cannot be resolved
----------
2. ERROR in FileUploadBean.java (at line 4)
        import javax.servlet.http.*;
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The import javax.servlet cannot be resolved
----------
3. ERROR in FileUploadBean.java (at line 8)
        public void doUpload(HttpServletRequest request) throws
                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
HttpServletRequest cannot be resolved to a type
----------
4. ERROR in FileUploadBean.java (at line 12)
        ServletInputStream in = request.getInputStream();
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
ServletInputStream cannot be resolved to a type
----------
4 problems (4 errors)

Re: file upload servlet

Posted by Kimberly Begley <ki...@gmail.com>.
ah - ok - thanks for clearing that up.

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 4:59 PM, Bob Hall <rf...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- 10:07PM Wed 27 Feb 2008 Kimberly Begley
> <ki...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi - I'm trying to compile come java code to upload
> > a file but am getting
> > errors - it looks like it can't find the
> > javax.servlet stuff to import and
> > from what I've read online everyone talks about
> > having the directory in the
> > classpath but I have also read not to mess with my
> > classpath - I'm trying to
> > compile it from my
> > catalina_home/webapps/appname/WEB_INF directory -
> > does
> > anyone have any suggestions? I'm sure it's obvious
> > but I just can't see it.
> >

> The CLASSPATH warnings are associated with starting
> Tomcat - not compiling your java code; servlet-api.jar
> needs to be in your CLASSPATH.
>
> You should also take a look at the commons fileUpload
> project; http://commons.apache.org/fileupload/
>
> HTH - Bob

Kimberly Begley

Re: file upload servlet