Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by "Michael Gentry (Yes, I'm a Contractor)" <mi...@fanniemae.com> on 2006/07/18 16:03:03 UTC

NOTICE Text

Here is the proposed NOTICE text:

           Apache Cayenne
           Copyright 2006 The Apache Software Foundation

This software is derived from Cayenne 1.2, which was donated to the
Apache Software Foundation by The ObjectStyle Group.  Cayenne 1.2
was released under the following license:

 * The ObjectStyle Group Software License, version 1.1
 * ObjectStyle Group - http://objectstyle.org/
(rest of original Cayenne header/license)

Any comments on the wording (the ObjectStyle part -- copied the Apache part
off the web site).

Thanks,

/dev/mrg

Re: NOTICE Text

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> On Jul 18, 2006, at 2:36 PM, Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>
>> Are the wiki-docs included in the product distribution? If so, then
>> they definitely need the header.
>
> Yep, they are included in the distro. So we need headers for them.
>
> Generated classes from the test suite are not included in the distro
> and probably fall into the "file without any degree of creativity in
> either its literal elements or its structure" category. So we can  leave
> those alone.

yes, agreed.

 -jean

Re: NOTICE Text

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
On Jul 18, 2006, at 2:36 PM, Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> Are the wiki-docs included in the product distribution? If so, then
> they definitely need the header.

Yep, they are included in the distro. So we need headers for them.

Generated classes from the test suite are not included in the distro
and probably fall into the "file without any degree of creativity in
either its literal elements or its structure" category. So we can
leave those alone.

Andrus

Re: NOTICE Text

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> Jean, as usual, thanks for providing the useful info.
>
> My take on it - this is yet another insanity coming from the world
> ruled by lawyers, and we have no choice, but comply. As far as the
> exported wiki-docs, I guess we'll have to augment the ant script with
> the header addition step. We can do the same thing for the generated
> test classes (generate with standard template, and then postprocess
> with Ant to add a header). Maven migration is going to be fun...

Are the wiki-docs included in the product distribution? If so, then
they definitely need the header.

If they're only displayed on the web site, then
http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html says content displayed on a
web site doesn't need it. (But if that web site gets included in the
product distribution it does need the header.)

Here's what does NOT need the header:
http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#faq-exceptions

When in doubt, add the header.

 -jean

Re: NOTICE Text

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Re: NOTICE Text

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.

Re: NOTICE Text

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
On Jul 18, 2006, at 11:47 AM, Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> Craig L Russell wrote:
>> On Jul 18, 2006, at 11:00 AM, Gentry, Michael (Contractor) wrote:
>>> XML/DTD/etc is data and not code and doesn't need the ASF header.
>>> Jean/etc can chime in on this later if they want.
>>
>> I think that you should include the ASF header in XSD and DTD files.
>> They are part of the IP of the project and should have the
>> appropriate
>> copyright notices. I don't think I'd hold up release  because of this
>> issue, but it should be done at some point.
>>

> Just to make sure there's no confusion, I think Craig really meant
> "They
> are part of the IP of the project and should have the appropriate ASF
> license header". --As part of the ASF header change [1], copyrights
> move
> from source headers to the NOTICE file.

Thanks, that's what I meant. The source license headers are just an
abbreviated few lines of text, not the actual license.

Craig

>  -jean
>
> [1] http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: NOTICE Text

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Yeah, CAYDOC and CAYDOC12 are simply the names of the Confleunce
"Spaces" where the documentation resides. So I was talking about this
http://objectstyle.org/confluence/display/CAYDOC/Documentation

(CAYDOC should be maintained in sync with the HEAD Cayenne code)

Andrus

Re: Re: NOTICE Text

Posted by Michael Gentry <bl...@gmail.com>.

Re: NOTICE Text

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

RE: NOTICE Text

Posted by "Gentry, Michael (Contractor)" <mi...@fanniemae.com>.
Ah, sorry!  I totally forgot about that one.  I only checked tutorials
out to get the ant build to work and promptly forgot about it.  I'll
change them.

Thanks,

/dev/mrg

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

RE: NOTICE Text

Re: NOTICE Text

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

RE: NOTICE Text

Re: NOTICE Text

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.

RE: NOTICE Text

Posted by "Gentry, Michael (Contractor)" <mi...@fanniemae.com>.
I was just going by the links Jean posted.  Individual files are
available via subversion/etc and should have the license associated with
them.  I had to "cheat", though.  I couldn't put the full header in, but
added the link to the ASF license web page to the GIFs.

/dev/mrg

Re: NOTICE Text

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

RE: NOTICE Text

Posted by "Gentry, Michael (Contractor)" <mi...@fanniemae.com>.
I just committed all of the Java header changes for cayenne-java.  Looks
like I'll have to go edit the XML/DTD now, too.  I think I can use

Re: NOTICE Text

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.

Re: NOTICE Text

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
On Jul 18, 2006, at 11:00 AM, Gentry, Michael (Contractor) wrote:

> I think I'm going to make the strategic decision, for now, that

I think you mean tactical decision ;-)

> XML/DTD/etc is data and not code and doesn't need the ASF header.
> Jean/etc can chime in on this later if they want.

I think that you should include the ASF header in XSD and DTD files.
They are part of the IP of the project and should have the
appropriate copyright notices. I don't think I'd hold up release
because of this issue, but it should be done at some point.

> Also, I'm not going to add headers to the generated classes, such as
> _Artist.java and Artist.java, since these are produced from a template

Right.

> and we don't want the standard templates to have the ASF headers in
> them.
>
> It looks like many test classes don't have headers, either, but
> I'll add
> it to them.

Cool.

Craig

RE: NOTICE Text

Re: NOTICE Text

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

RE: NOTICE Text

Posted by "Gentry, Michael (Contractor)" <mi...@fanniemae.com>.
Ooops, misread what you said originally.  Thanks.

I'm adding the ASF license to a few files which were missing the OS one,
but everything else is looking good so far.  Do you think
org/apache/cayenne/dba/types.xml (and kin) need it, too?  My gut feeling
is no.  What about HTML files?  I'm guessing no on that one, too.  At
least for now ...

/dev/mrg

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

RE: NOTICE Text