Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> on 2016/03/25 15:04:11 UTC

[DISCUSS][CHIMERA] Name for the new component

Hi,

after we've accepted the Chimera project [1] as new Apache Commons project,
it's time to decide on a name. I've used Apache Commons Crypto in the past,
but some have argued that it isn't to the point.
I'd like to find a name the same way we did it for the potential Math TLP.
Just add your idea to this thread and we'll tally them up after the easter
weekend. The name with the most nominations wins :-)
Please remember that Apache Commons component names should be short and
descriptive.

Here are my proposals:

Apache Commons Crypto
Apache Commons Crypto Libs
Apache Commons Crypto Extensions
Apache Commons AES
Apache Commons AES Libs
Apache Commons AES Extensions

Best regards and happy easter!
Benedikt

[1] https://github.com/intel-hadoop/chimera

RE: [DISCUSS][CHIMERA] Name for the new component

Posted by "Chen, Haifeng" <ha...@intel.com>.
Apache Commons Crypto

Posted by "Sun, Dapeng" <da...@intel.com>.
+1 for Apache Commons Crypto

Regards
Dapeng

Posted by "Xu, Cheng A" <ch...@intel.com>.
Apache Commons Crypto

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
I don’t know if it needs a formal vote, but the responses make it look like it is. I also prefer Apache Commons Crypto.

Ralph

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hi Ralph,

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Is this a vote thread?

Posted by "Gangumalla, Uma" <um...@intel.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Apache Commons Crypto

Gary

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

RE: [DISCUSS][CHIMERA] Name for the new component

Posted by "Chen, Haifeng" <ha...@intel.com>.
Thanks Benedikt so much for your effort driving this and all folks for support.
The developers at the original github also made improvements towards Apache Commons such as the API doc, user guide and site.

Haifeng

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
Le 25/03/2016 15:49, sebb a écrit :

> Apache Commons EasyCrypt

I like this one.

My suggestions:

Apache Commons FastCrypt
Apache Commons OpenSSL
Apache Commons OpenSSL Wrapper (contracted to Apache Commons OSW)

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [DISCUSS][CHIMERA] Name for the new component

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 25 March 2016 at 14:04, Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> after we've accepted the Chimera project [1] as new Apache Commons project,
> it's time to decide on a name. I've used Apache Commons Crypto in the past,
> but some have argued that it isn't to the point.

Seems its more of a wrapper as it doesn't do the crypto.

Although Commons Email does not actually do Emal.

> I'd like to find a name the same way we did it for the potential Math TLP.
> Just add your idea to this thread and we'll tally them up after the easter
> weekend. The name with the most nominations wins :-)
> Please remember that Apache Commons component names should be short and
> descriptive.
>
> Here are my proposals:
>
> Apache Commons Crypto

Possibly, by analogy with Commons Mail

> Apache Commons Crypto Libs
> Apache Commons Crypto Extensions

I don't think it's either of those.

How about:

Apache Commons Crypto Wrapper
Apache Commons Crypto Helper
Apache Commons EasyCrypt

> Apache Commons AES
> Apache Commons AES Libs
> Apache Commons AES Extensions

I would avoid mention of a specific algorithm unless it will never
support any others.

> Best regards and happy easter!

Apache Commons SpookyCrypt :-)

Posted by Uwe Barthel <ba...@x-reizend.de>.