Posted to dev@superset.apache.org by Kevin Postlewaite <ke...@gmail.com> on 2019/04/06 19:19:01 UTC

Considering adding Visual Segment Builder to Superset

Hi:

We have need of a visual segment builder and a first glance suggests that
it could fit well into Superset. Before I investigate further I wanted to
gauge interest and see if this would be something that people felt was
reasonable and would be welcomed.

Use Case:
We have non-technical users who want to build sets of users (segments) from
our data. They need to be able to take an existing table or query as a
source and add complex, nested constraints on the where-level of SQL
queries to define a segment. Given their level of technical expertise they
need to have a visual interface where they will select columns and
configure filters on those columns, and be able to nest those filters with
ANDs and ORs and then save those segments.

How this might fit in with Superset:
Initially, I envision extending SQL Lab or adding a new feature that would
function similarly to SQL Lab but with a visual UI to specify the query
instead of entering SQL. Eventually, it might be nice to be able to
associate segments into groups and expose a group as a filter for
dashboards.

Feedback that I'm looking for:
-Is this a feature that belongs in Superset?
-Is this a feature that fits in with the direction that the Superset team
wants to go?
-Would Superset's existing infrastructure simplify the implementation of
this feature?

Thank you!
--
Kevin Postlewaite

Re: Considering adding Visual Segment Builder to Superset

Posted by al...@gmail.com.
Hi,

we run sql statements on top of redshift, but we build those statements in alteryx so using a ui. Some users don’t even know they are doing sql.

I think mostly what you’d get by implementing this in superset is user authentication and authorization. Also users would be able to do data transformations and visualizations in one place.

Alessio

Sent from my iPhone