Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Bradley, Todd" <to...@Polycom.com> on 2005/09/12 19:37:56 UTC

[users@httpd] why would a GET consistently take 10 seconds?

Hi, I'm the nominal owner of a small web server we use to host our wiki
(TWiki) intranet on.  Performance has been quite speedy for the past 3
years, since we set it up.  But about a month ago, things suddenly got
much slower.  Our wiki pages are now taking around 10 seconds to appear
in users' browsers.  Initially, the blame was pointed at TWiki, and so I
set up just a very short simple flat HTML file for Apache to serve up.
It takes 10 seconds to GET this file, too.  So it doesn't appear that
TWiki is the culprit.

I suspect that our IT department changed something about our network a
month ago, although it's also possible one of the other quasi-admins of
this box mucked something up.  So I've been pondering what httpd might
be doing for 10 seconds on every page.  My first guess was that maybe
httpd was doing reverse DNS lookups and that those were taking a really
long time or timing out or something.  But our configuration has

HostNameLookups Off

So I'm at a loss for what to try next.  Here are some potentially
relevant details of our system:

Server version: Apache/1.3.27 (Unix)  (Red-Hat/Linux)
Server built:   Dec 10 2003 04:55:18

The machine started as RedHat 7.1 but I did updated most of the relevant
packages to the latest versions as of a few months ago.

Does anyone have any ideas of what might take a consistent 10 seconds
during every GET?  Or, more likely, can anyone recommend a good
troubleshooting source for httpd problems?  I know only enough Apache to
be dangerous.

Todd.
----
Todd Bradley - Polycom, Inc.
Test Lead, Proximo Projects

Visit me at my WebOffice for IM and app sharing:
http://www.polycomweboffice.com/todd.bradley@polycom.com

Re: [users@httpd] why would a GET consistently take 10 seconds?

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 9/12/05, Bradley, Todd <to...@polycom.com> wrote:
> I suspect that our IT department changed something about our network a
> month ago, although it's also possible one of the other quasi-admins of
> this box mucked something up.  So I've been pondering what httpd might
> be doing for 10 seconds on every page.  My first guess was that maybe
> httpd was doing reverse DNS lookups and that those were taking a really
> long time or timing out or something.  But our configuration has
>
> HostNameLookups Off

I would still suspect DNS.  Check your config for Allow and Deny
statements and make sure they they use only "all" or an IP address --
nothing else.

Joshua.