Posted to dev@oodt.apache.org by Chris Mattmann <ma...@apache.org> on 2014/09/10 18:14:44 UTC

Re: filemgr ingestion

Hi Etienne,

Thanks for your query. The default protocol used by the
RemoteDataTransfer is XML-RPC. It's a call-back mechanism
that I baked up myself with a configurable chunk size parameter.

My suggestion is rather than use that DataTransfer, I would leverage:

(1) a distributed filesystem like HadoopFS, Tachyon (from BDAS), GlusterFS,
or even NFS that logically mounts a set of local shared nothing disks as a
virtual global mount

(2) use the LocalDataTransfer in the File Manager, with #1 in place

The main reason for this is that it allows the people who work on
distributed
and reliable filesystems that solve those problems in a great way, it
allows
us in the OODT community to take advantage of that work without having to
write
all the complex functionality ourselves. That way we just have
light-weight insulated
pieces/components in OODT that rely on the workhorses that do things right.

HTH!

Cheers,
Chris

------------------------
Chris Mattmann
chris.mattmann@gmail.com

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (3980)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
No problem Etienne, and yes that's a fair statement! :)

Cheers man.

Chris

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Chief Architect