Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Ryan Delano <rd...@maine.rr.com> on 2002/03/24 01:05:34 UTC

Nearly ported with g++ on solaris

I have been trying to build applications using gcc and g++ on Solaris in hopes to discontinue using Workshop 6.2 (now Forte C++).  I have been able to "rebuild" all related components with some difficulty and a few modifications to a few distribution files.  I have completely rebuilt Xerces-C 1.6 and then Xalan-C 1.3 to the point that I can compile and link using gcc and it's ld.  The problem is that I can only successfully execute parser-related actions.  When I try to execute the initialization for Xalan I get a Bus error with a core.  The same is true for the recompiled distributed exe's.

I think it would be really helpful for the Solaris user-base if they could produce applications on GNU compilers and it seem like I'm close.  Can you confirm that anyone has been able to fully rebuild the Xalan-C project or perhaps confirm that I am wasting my time?  I'm not sure what to try next, seeing that my compilation and links are happening without error.

In the event that my effort is successful I have fully documented all the environment settings and modifications which I was intending to share with you at that time.  Please let me know if you have any advice on where I might look to understand and compensate for my Bus error.

Thanks,
Ryan Delano
Portland, Maine

Re: Nearly ported with g++ on solaris

Posted by Tim Timmerman <Ti...@asml.com>.

<snip>
Ryan> Can you confirm that anyone has been able to fully
Ryan> rebuild the Xalan-C project or perhaps confirm that I am wasting
Ryan> my time?  I'm not sure what to try next, seeing that my
Ryan> compilation and links are happening without error.
      Confirm.
      Managed to build Xalan1.3, Xerces 1.6 from the distribution
      downloaded from xml.apache.org, with only small mods to the
      Makefiles (I was trying to produce a static build, so digging
      out the exact mods is a bit difficult). Basically, having a good
      g++ install (I used g++ 2.95.2 for this) helps, as long a you
      disable the include libstdl .

Ryan> In the event that my effort is successful I have fully
Ryan> documented all the environment settings and modifications which
Ryan> I was intending to share with you at that time.  Please let me
Ryan> know if you have any advice on where I might look to understand
Ryan> and compensate for my Bus error.
      Sorry, can't help you there..

      TimT.
Ryan> Thanks,