Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Tino Schöllhorn <t....@plattform-gmbh.de> on 2005/10/24 09:59:31 UTC

[users@httpd] Mass VHost, Access Rights (Apache 2.0)

Hi,

we are thinking about using mass virtual hosting to reduce the
configuration effort. Simplified we want each virtual host like
(${customer} is a variable for the host-name)

<VirtualHost *:80>
     ServerName www.${customer}.com
     ServerAlias customer.myhost.com
     DocumentRoot /data/htdocs/customer

     <Location /awstats>
	AuthType Basic
	AuthName "Restricted Files"
	AuthUserFile /usr/local/apache/passwd/${customer}
	Require valid-user
     </Location>
</VirtualHost>

As I understand the documentation it is quite simple to set up a mass
VirtualHost-system. The only two things I could not find in the
documentation was this:
If I like to restrict access to a specific resource (here: /awstats) do
I have to specify the <Location> for each virtual host? Or is there a
possibility to specify the access restrictions in a more abstract way so
that we can specify the rule once? Ideally the solution would use
different password-files.

For any help, links to other documentation I'd be very happy

With regards
Tino