Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Gudmund Berggren <gu...@homemail.com> on 2001/12/16 00:10:35 UTC

Permissions for Apache server

Hi,
I have a question regarding how to set up permissions for the Apache server.

Is it safe to run the Apache server as a service with Local System permissions ?
Shall I instead create an account with limited rights and let the service run from this account?
I guess that the answer to my second question is "yes" but it would be interesting hear if
there are some other solutions to this :)

{My platform is Windows XP, Apache 1.3.22, Mod SSL 2.8.5}

Gudmund

Re: Permissions for Apache server

Posted by Game Wizard <gw...@netvision.net.il>.
It is always good practice to run external service without local system account as you will be giving apache an administrator access to kernel mode stream. It is a huge security hole. Instead, like you mentioned, created apache user account and grant it the necesseray permissions.