Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com> on 2003/06/25 23:58:52 UTC

Aligning plugin artifacts with normal projects

Hi,

We had a quick chat in IRC about aligning plugin artifacts with normal
Maven Projects. By this I mean using maven.xml instead of plugin.jelly
and the simple project.properties instead of plugin.properties.

I think this alignment would make explaining plugins work as they now do
work the same as a normal project.

I can change all the plugins in CVS but admittedly plugins outside the
ones we store will have to change the file names if we make the change.
I would like to make the plugins more consistent with normal projects
for 1.0 if there are no objections.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: Aligning plugin artifacts with normal projects

Posted by Brett Porter <bp...@f2network.com.au>.
I could only find it on the Jelly site :)

- Brett

--
Web Developer
f2 network ~ everything essential

Re: Aligning plugin artifacts with normal projects

Posted by Ben Walding <de...@walding.com>.
irc.codehaus.org:6667

Posted by Martin Skopp <sk...@riege.de>.
On Wed, 2003-06-25 at 23:58, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> We had a quick chat in IRC about aligning plugin artifacts with normal

Is there a special maven channel where you guy hang around?
Could one provide server and channelname?

Forgive me if it's somewhere documented...

Thanks
--
Martin Skopp
Riege Software International GmbH
Support: mailto:maint@riege.com, Information: http://www.riege.com

This email is intended to be viewed with a nonproportional font.
Public Key on http://www.keyserver.net, Key-ID: 3D4027B5
Fingerprint: 1970 C78D 9A1D 99FA 5CE4  5C0D 29E6 6A95 3D40 27B5

Re: Aligning plugin artifacts with normal projects

Posted by "Mark H. Wilkinson" <mh...@kremvax.net>.
On Wed, 2003-06-25 at 22:58, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We had a quick chat in IRC about aligning plugin artifacts with normal
> Maven Projects. By this I mean using maven.xml instead of plugin.jelly
> and the simple project.properties instead of plugin.properties.

project to use maven.xml and project.properties at build time. I'd have
thought the obvious solution to make this all more consistent would be
to move the run-time executable parts of the plugin somewhere under the
src directory rather than having everything dumped in the project root
as at the moment:

plugin
  project.xml
  project.properties
  maven.xml
  /src
    /java
      /org...
    /maven
      maven.xml
      project.properties
  /xdocs

This would tighten up the distinction between project metadata and
build-time stuff (project root) and run-time artifacts (somewhere under
src).

-Mark.

RE: Aligning plugin artifacts with normal projects

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Thu, 2003-06-26 at 01:27, Vincent Massol wrote:
> ATM I have different properties in plugin.properties and in
> project.properties. The ones in project.properties are used to build the
> plugin only and they must not be used when the user uses the plugin.
>
> How do we deal with this?

Again I can leave them separate. As I'm refactoring I'm just popping out
questions to users to make sure I don't bonk anyone.

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Thu, 2003-06-26 at 01:40, dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
> How would we be able to differentiate then between the properties a plugin
> exposes and those it uses for it's own purposes? The plugin plugin uses
> plugin.properties to generate docs.

Ok, it looks like we will keep both in order to make a distinction
between building the plugin and running the plugin. I jumped the gun a
bit. That's why I asked.

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.