Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net> on 2003/07/31 23:13:42 UTC

Saxon 6 and 7 XPath Implementations

Hi all,

I'd like to contribute Saxon 6.x and 7.x xpath processor implementations
into the excalibur xmlutil. Couple of questions:

  * Is there anybody against it?
  * Is it ok to add saxon jars into avalon-excalibur/lib?

Thanks in advance,

Vadim

Re: Saxon 6 and 7 XPath Implementations

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
<quote who="Berin Loritsch">
> Just as long as its not GPL or derivative.  If it is LGPL, then as long
> as the library is not *required* then it is OK.  At least as far as the
> discussions on clarifying that issue have gone.
>
> I think we comply with that for Saxon, even if it is not (L)GPL.  We
> should probably take a good look at the MPL (if that is what Saxon uses)
> to see if there are any restrictions on distribution like the LGPL.
> Until then, we should probably avoid having Saxon in our CVS and ask
> others to download it.

Michael is a very pragmatic guy who love to have his code spreading around.

I asked him about if it was OK to port to J2ME and asked if he wanted any
submissions back, and replied very friendly "Go ahead, if you find any
ineffeciency please report, otherwise do whatever you like."

I think, he will be agreeable to more or less anything, as long as it
doesn't restrict anyone else.

Niclas

Re: Saxon 6 and 7 XPath Implementations

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> J Aaron Farr wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2003-08-06 at 18:24, Leo Simons wrote:
>>

>>> according to me (IANAL) and other peeps it is okay if you add the
>>> right license as well. We've never actually had a lawyer answer that
>>> question.
>>

>> MPL should be okay.
>

> Thanks for the "go-ahead". Unfortunately, Saxon does not ship with
> LICENSE readily available. I'm trying to come up with one and get
> approval from Michael H. Kay:
>
>   http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=914399&forum_id=94027

Just as long as its not GPL or derivative.  If it is LGPL, then as long
as the library is not *required* then it is OK.  At least as far as the
discussions on clarifying that issue have gone.

I think we comply with that for Saxon, even if it is not (L)GPL.  We should
probably take a good look at the MPL (if that is what Saxon uses) to see if
there are any restrictions on distribution like the LGPL.  Until then, we should
probably avoid having Saxon in our CVS and ask others to download it.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin

Re: Saxon 6 and 7 XPath Implementations

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@telerama.com>.
On Wed, 2003-08-06 at 18:24, Leo Simons wrote:

> according to me (IANAL) and other peeps it is okay if you add the right
> license as well. We've never actually had a lawyer answer that question.

MPL should be okay.

To quote Sam Ruby:

Code under the ASF License is clearly OK.  As is the IBM Public License
(the pre-Jakarta BSF, for example) and the MPL (Rhino).  The following
public domain components are also approved: Antlr and Doug Lea's
concurrency package.

see:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-community&m=105712356509877&w=2

> M U S T   C O M P L E T E   M O V E   T   O     M   a   v   e  n...

Definitely.  Is there anything I can assist with on this?

--
 jaaron  <http://jadetower.org>

Re: Saxon 6 and 7 XPath Implementations

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'd like to contribute Saxon 6.x and 7.x xpath processor
>> implementations into the excalibur xmlutil. Couple of questions:
>>
>>  * Is there anybody against it?
>
> Ok, assuming lazy consensus this went in right into CVS...

missed your original message. Tacking on a "[proposal]" or "[vote]" gets
you more attention :D

I might be missing something, but isn't something as genericcally usable
as this a good candidate for, I dunno, xml-commons or something like that?

>>  * Is it ok to add saxon jars into avalon-excalibur/lib?
>
> But I still would like at least one "+1" from any of the avalon
> committers... Saxon is under MPL 1.0 according to
> http://saxon.sourceforge.net/saxon6.5.2/conditions.html

according to me (IANAL) and other peeps it is okay if you add the right
license as well. We've never actually had a lawyer answer that question.

M U S T   C O M P L E T E   M O V E   T   O     M   a   v   e  n...

- Leo

Re: Saxon 6 and 7 XPath Implementations

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to contribute Saxon 6.x and 7.x xpath processor implementations
> into the excalibur xmlutil. Couple of questions:
>
>  * Is there anybody against it?

Ok, assuming lazy consensus this went in right into CVS...

>  * Is it ok to add saxon jars into avalon-excalibur/lib?

But I still would like at least one "+1" from any of the avalon
committers... Saxon is under MPL 1.0 according to
http://saxon.sourceforge.net/saxon6.5.2/conditions.html

> Thanks in advance,

Vadim