Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Gabriel Ambuehl <ga...@buz.ch> on 2002/08/13 19:49:42 UTC

Re[2]: perchild on FreeBSD 5?

Re: Re[2]: perchild on FreeBSD 5?

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 02:11:08PM -0400, Ryan Bloom wrote:

> well.  If I can't make it work on my BSD machine (because it is FreeBSD),
> then I will most likely need an account on a Net or Open BSD box.

We got NetBSD installed on one of our machines (dodo.betaversion.org)...
It should be in line this week-end. Let me know if you need access.

    Pier (playing with OSes)

Re: Re[2]: perchild on FreeBSD 5?

Posted by Henning Brauer <hb...@bsws.de>.
On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 02:11:08PM -0400, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> I don't honestly know.  The problem is that there are mulitple ways to
> pass file descriptors between processes based on the Unix that you are
> using.  Assuming FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD all have good thread
> libraries and that they all support the fd passing mechanism that Liux
> uses, yes everything will work.  IF they don't support the same fd passing
> logic, then it is a simple matter of implementing the other fd passing
> logic, which should be easy to do.  Assuming I get Perchild working this
> week, I will try to get it working on a BSD machine that I have as
> well.  If I can't make it work on my BSD machine (because it is FreeBSD),
> then I will most likely need an account on a Net or Open BSD box.

I most probably can help for OpenBSD. I'm maintaining our in-tree apache
(1.3.27 w/ local changes), and 2.0 could/should be in ports/. I'm not going
to import 2.0 in the near future, though.

hb@bsws.de - henning@openbsd.org
(Dennis Ritchie)

Re: Re[2]: perchild on FreeBSD 5?

Posted by Ryan Bloom <rb...@ntrnet.net>.
On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Gabriel Ambuehl wrote:

> Hello Ryan,
>
> Tuesday, August 13, 2002, 6:10:21 PM, you wrote:
>

> > Assuming that FreeBSD 5 solves the threading problems with FreeBSD,
> then
>
> That's what we've been told by the people working on 5.0 at least. I
> dunno whether they actually understand the issue though as they claim
> that FreeBSD 4.X supports threading, too.
>
> > yes, Perchild will work on that platform.  The problem right now is
> that
> > PErchild doesn't work at all.  I am hoping to have time to work on
> > PErchild on Thursday or Friday to finish the work on that MPM.
>
> On another note: will it already work on NetBSD or OpenBSD once it
> will be back in service on Linux?

I don't honestly know.  The problem is that there are mulitple ways to
pass file descriptors between processes based on the Unix that you are
using.  Assuming FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD all have good thread
libraries and that they all support the fd passing mechanism that Liux
uses, yes everything will work.  IF they don't support the same fd passing
logic, then it is a simple matter of implementing the other fd passing
logic, which should be easy to do.  Assuming I get Perchild working this
week, I will try to get it working on a BSD machine that I have as
well.  If I can't make it work on my BSD machine (because it is FreeBSD),
then I will most likely need an account on a Net or Open BSD box.

I have recently lost access to most of my different types of machines, and
while I'll get some access to new boxes starting next week, it won't be
specifically for Apache work.

Ryan

550 Jean St
Oakland CA 94610