Posted to log4cxx-user@logging.apache.org by re...@rubixinfotech.com on 2005/02/11 20:07:15 UTC

Multi-threaded logging...

>Unless you are immediately jumping into multithreaded logging I would
>recommend using the CVS HEAD over 0.9.7.  Currently the synchronization
>and thread-local stuff is stubbed out.

Does this imply that multi-threaded logging does NOT work?  We're running
an
app (production) that is using log4cxx from about 10 different worker
threads.  Mostly

So does this imply that
Renny Koshy
President & CEO

RUBIX Information Technologies, Inc.
www.rubixinfotech.com

Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>
02/11/2005 01:42 PM
Please respond to "Log4CXX User"

        To:     Log4CXX User <lo...@logging.apache.org>
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: Questions regarding CVS HEAD

Unless you are immediately jumping into multithreaded logging I would
recommend using the CVS HEAD over 0.9.7.  Currently the synchronization
and thread-local stuff is stubbed out.

The next release will look almost exactly like the current CVS, but
with more features fleshed out and tested.  I've added a task to Jira
(http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOGCXX-62) to track the issues
that are blocking (at least in my opinion) the release.  Please feel
free to add additional issues or petition to have issues reduced from
blocking status.

The CVS HEAD is now being build and tested daily by Gump (Ant build
only) and any breakage will result in an nag message to the mailing
list.

Re: Multi-threaded logging...

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
> Does this imply that multi-threaded logging does NOT work?  We're
> running an
> app (production) that is using log4cxx from about 10 different worker
> threads.  Mostly

I know that some things (like NDC::clone) are commented out and the
threading unit cases haven't been ported from log4cxx.  It is an area
that I don't believe is adequately tested in the test suite, so it is
hard for me to make recommendations to use the CVS HEAD if that is an
area of significant concern.  Good to know that it is working for you
and I'll see what I can do to get the log4j threading tests ported
over.