Posted to mod_python-dev@quetz.apache.org by "Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy" <gr...@ispol.com> on 2005/08/24 19:09:45 UTC

ModPyExtension in setup.py builds another mod_python.so?

I was just building 3.2.0b on Linux, and noticed that an extra
mod_python.so (or rather mod_python_so.so) ends up being built in addition
to the one built by the Makefile.

It happens in setup.py resulting in a mod_python_so.so file which ends up
being placed in site-packages.

Why do we need ModPyExtension? Since mod_python.so is an _apache_ module,
why should it be built using Python tools (rather than apxs) and why does
it need to be in the Python library path?

Is this necessary for Win32? If so, should we disable it on non-Win32?

Or is this something we need rethink altogether? :-)

Grisha

Re: ModPyExtension in setup.py builds another mod_python.so?

Posted by Nicolas Lehuen <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi Grisha,

Indeed, this is built by setup.py because this makes the build under Win32
much more easier. No need to "./configure ; make ; make install" under
Win32, which is a blessing since there are no default installation of sh,
make, flex etc. on this platform. The "standard" way of building mod_python
on Win32 is "python setup.py.in <http://setup.py.in> install", or "python
setup.py.in <http://setup.py.in> bdist_wininst" if you want an executable
installer.

As for removing the pseudo-target if the OS is not Win32, I guess it's OK.

Regards,
Nicolas