Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by mahout user <ma...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/19 17:44:09 UTC

Hadoop Real time help

Hello folks,

   I am new to hadoop, I just want to get information that how hadoop
framework is usefull for real time service.?can any one explain me..?

Thanks.

Re: Hadoop Real time help

Posted by Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl>.
Thanks for the pointers, I have stuff to read now :)

Niels Basjes

Re: Hadoop Real time help

Posted by Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl>.
Thanks for the pointers, I have stuff to read now :)

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 9:37 AM, Bertrand Dechoux <de...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The terms are
> * ESP : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Event_stream_processing
> * CEP : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_event_processing
>
> By the way, processing streams in real time tends toward being a pleonasm.
>
> MapReduce follows a batch architecture. You keep data until a given time.
> You then process everything. And at the end you provide all the results.
> Stream processing has by definition a more 'smooth' throughput. Each event
> is processed at a time and potentially each processing could lead to a
> result.
>
> I don't know any complete overview of such tools.
> Esper is well known in that space.
> FlumeBase was an attempt to do something similar (as far as I can tell).
> It shows how an ESP engine fits with log collection using a tool such as
> Flume.
>
> Then you also have other solutions which will allow you to scale such as
> Storm.
> A few people have already considered using Storm for scalability and Esper
> to do the real computation.
>
> Regards
>
> Bertrand
>

> On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 9:44 PM, Niels Basjes <ni...@basj.es> wrote:
>>
>> Is there a "complete" overview of the tools that allow processing streams
>> of data in realtime?
>>
>> Or even better; what are the terms to google for?
>>
>> --
>> Met vriendelijke groet,
>> Niels Basjes
>> (Verstuurd vanaf mobiel )
>>
>> Op 19 aug. 2012 18:22 schreef "Bertrand Dechoux" <de...@gmail.com> het
>> volgende:
>>
>>> That's a good question. More and more people are talking about Hadoop
>>> Real Time.
>>> One key aspect of this question is whether we are talking about MapReduce
>>> or not.
>>>
>>> MapReduce greatly improves the response time of any data intensive jobs
>>> but it is still a batch framework with a noticeable latency.
>>>
>>> There is multiple ways to improve the latency :
>>> * ESP/CEP solutions (like Esper, FlumeBase, ...)
>>> * Big Table clones (like HBase ...)
>>> * YARN with a non MapReduce application
>>> * ...
>>>
>>> But it will really depend on the context and the definition of 'real
>>> time'.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Bertrand

>>> --
>>> Bertrand Dechoux
>

> --
> Bertrand Dechoux

Niels Basjes

Re: Hadoop Real time help

Posted by Mohit Anchlia <mo...@gmail.com>.
One of the most commonly used use case is to perform all IO intensive batch
jobs in HDFS and load more structured data or the output of the job into
HBase or Solr for quick access. But if your dataset is small that fits into
memory then you could also cache it in memory. There are various options
depending on your requirements. Some of them Bertrand has already
highlighted below.

Re: Hadoop Real time help

Posted by Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl>.
Thanks for the pointers, I have stuff to read now :)

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 9:37 AM, Bertrand Dechoux <de...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The terms are
> * ESP : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Event_stream_processing
> * CEP : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_event_processing
>
> By the way, processing streams in real time tends toward being a pleonasm.
>
> MapReduce follows a batch architecture. You keep data until a given time.
> You then process everything. And at the end you provide all the results.
> Stream processing has by definition a more 'smooth' throughput. Each event
> is processed at a time and potentially each processing could lead to a
> result.
>
> I don't know any complete overview of such tools.
> Esper is well known in that space.
> FlumeBase was an attempt to do something similar (as far as I can tell).
> It shows how an ESP engine fits with log collection using a tool such as
> Flume.
>
> Then you also have other solutions which will allow you to scale such as
> Storm.
> A few people have already considered using Storm for scalability and Esper
> to do the real computation.
>
> Regards
>
> Bertrand
>

> On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 9:44 PM, Niels Basjes <ni...@basj.es> wrote:
>>
>> Is there a "complete" overview of the tools that allow processing streams
>> of data in realtime?
>>
>> Or even better; what are the terms to google for?
>>
>> --
>> Met vriendelijke groet,
>> Niels Basjes
>> (Verstuurd vanaf mobiel )
>>
>> Op 19 aug. 2012 18:22 schreef "Bertrand Dechoux" <de...@gmail.com> het
>> volgende:
>>
>>> That's a good question. More and more people are talking about Hadoop
>>> Real Time.
>>> One key aspect of this question is whether we are talking about MapReduce
>>> or not.
>>>
>>> MapReduce greatly improves the response time of any data intensive jobs
>>> but it is still a batch framework with a noticeable latency.
>>>
>>> There is multiple ways to improve the latency :
>>> * ESP/CEP solutions (like Esper, FlumeBase, ...)
>>> * Big Table clones (like HBase ...)
>>> * YARN with a non MapReduce application
>>> * ...
>>>
>>> But it will really depend on the context and the definition of 'real
>>> time'.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Bertrand

>>> --
>>> Bertrand Dechoux
>

> --
> Bertrand Dechoux

Niels Basjes

Re: Hadoop Real time help

Posted by Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl>.
Thanks for the pointers, I have stuff to read now :)

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 9:37 AM, Bertrand Dechoux <de...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The terms are
> * ESP : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Event_stream_processing
> * CEP : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_event_processing
>
> By the way, processing streams in real time tends toward being a pleonasm.
>
> MapReduce follows a batch architecture. You keep data until a given time.
> You then process everything. And at the end you provide all the results.
> Stream processing has by definition a more 'smooth' throughput. Each event
> is processed at a time and potentially each processing could lead to a
> result.
>
> I don't know any complete overview of such tools.
> Esper is well known in that space.
> FlumeBase was an attempt to do something similar (as far as I can tell).
> It shows how an ESP engine fits with log collection using a tool such as
> Flume.
>
> Then you also have other solutions which will allow you to scale such as
> Storm.
> A few people have already considered using Storm for scalability and Esper
> to do the real computation.
>
> Regards
>
> Bertrand
>

> On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 9:44 PM, Niels Basjes <ni...@basj.es> wrote:
>>
>> Is there a "complete" overview of the tools that allow processing streams
>> of data in realtime?
>>
>> Or even better; what are the terms to google for?
>>
>> --
>> Met vriendelijke groet,
>> Niels Basjes
>> (Verstuurd vanaf mobiel )
>>
>> Op 19 aug. 2012 18:22 schreef "Bertrand Dechoux" <de...@gmail.com> het
>> volgende:
>>
>>> That's a good question. More and more people are talking about Hadoop
>>> Real Time.
>>> One key aspect of this question is whether we are talking about MapReduce
>>> or not.
>>>
>>> MapReduce greatly improves the response time of any data intensive jobs
>>> but it is still a batch framework with a noticeable latency.
>>>
>>> There is multiple ways to improve the latency :
>>> * ESP/CEP solutions (like Esper, FlumeBase, ...)
>>> * Big Table clones (like HBase ...)
>>> * YARN with a non MapReduce application
>>> * ...
>>>
>>> But it will really depend on the context and the definition of 'real
>>> time'.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Bertrand

>>> --
>>> Bertrand Dechoux
>

> --
> Bertrand Dechoux

Niels Basjes

Re: Hadoop Real time help

Posted by Mohit Anchlia <mo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Hadoop Real time help

Posted by Mohit Anchlia <mo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Hadoop Real time help

Posted by Mohit Anchlia <mo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Hadoop Real time help

Posted by Bertrand Dechoux <de...@gmail.com>.
The terms are

--
Bertrand Dechoux

Re: Hadoop Real time help

Posted by Bertrand Dechoux <de...@gmail.com>.
The terms are

--
Bertrand Dechoux

Re: Hadoop Real time help

Posted by Bertrand Dechoux <de...@gmail.com>.
The terms are

--
Bertrand Dechoux

Re: Hadoop Real time help

Posted by Bertrand Dechoux <de...@gmail.com>.
The terms are

--
Bertrand Dechoux

Re: Hadoop Real time help

Posted by Niels Basjes <ni...@basj.es>.

Re: Hadoop Real time help

Posted by Niels Basjes <ni...@basj.es>.

Re: Hadoop Real time help

Posted by Niels Basjes <ni...@basj.es>.

Re: Hadoop Real time help

Posted by Niels Basjes <ni...@basj.es>.

Re: Hadoop Real time help

Posted by Bertrand Dechoux <de...@gmail.com>.

--
Bertrand Dechoux

Re: Hadoop Real time help

Posted by Bertrand Dechoux <de...@gmail.com>.
Lucene allows you to build a kind of inverted index "content to document
identifier". Solr or ElasticSearch allows to scale the process.

However, if I am reading it correctly, you are saying that you can not pre
compute a structure (such an index) before the search?

If that's true and that you need to process GB of data, then you have to
allow a latency, if you can not have everything in memory before the search
itself.

I can't say anything more precisely.  It will depend on your context. One
may ask : why can't you index the content of your database and your files?

Bertrand

--
Bertrand Dechoux

Re: Hadoop Real time help