Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Sławek Żak <sz...@era.pl> on 2004/03/19 14:58:00 UTC

Problems with importing large tree

I get this message when importing ~200MB tree to the repository:

svn: Can't recode string
svn: Your commit message was left in a temporary file:
svn:    'svn-commit.6.tmp'

Smaller amounts of data get through.

My config:

FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE-p16
apr-nothr-db4-0.9.4_9
neon-0.24.3_2
subversion-1.0.1
db4-4.0.14_1,1

What might be the problem?

TIA, /S
--
Sławek Żak : UNIX Systems Administrator : PTC Sp. zoo

Re: Problems with importing large tree

Posted by Ulrich Eckhardt <ec...@satorlaser.com>.
Sławek Żak wrote:
> I get this message when importing ~200MB tree to the repository:

Just wondering, does the size have anything to do with the error-message?

> svn: Can't recode string
> svn: Your commit message was left in a temporary file:
> svn:    'svn-commit.6.tmp'

Subversion stores commit-messages in UTF-8. It uses the currently selected
locale to convert the user's unput to UTF-8 and (wildly guessing) chokes an
8bit chars in your commit-message that should represent special
polish/cyrillic/non-ASCII glyhs. Make sure that you have a proper locale
selected (on Debian, via LC_CTYPE, AFAIR, see 'man locale').

good luck

Uli