Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jennifer Allen <jr...@alaska.net> on 2002/07/03 03:31:13 UTC

msi aborts on attempt to install 2.0.39 over 2.036 on NT4.0

Hello,

I'm attempting to upgrade to Apache 2.0.39 over the top of an existing
2.0.36
installation, on winNT4.0 service pack 6.0a, using windows installer
V1.10.1029.1 .

The install terminates immediately with message:

   "Another version of this product is already installed.  Installation
of this version
    cannot continue.  To configure or remove the existing version of
this product,
    use Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel."

V 2.0.36 installed flawlessly May 15 from .msi, taking all defaults, and
has been
running since. The service was stopped and the machine rebooted before
beginning
the upgrade. No other web servers are present. Moving, renaming or
deleting the
old 2.0.36 directories, startup shortcuts, and  the service itself made
no difference.
There seems to be no way to do further uninstall thrrough the Control
Panel and
nothing obvious in regedit although I am a novice with registries.

The docs and faqs refer to reinstalls that leave conf files unchanged,
etc, so I'm
assuming it must be possible to install over an existing older version.
I must be
missing something very basic here. I ran NCSA httpd on Solaris for 5
years but
am not a Windows expert...  Can someone please advise how to proceed
with the
upgrade?

Many thanks for your time,

Jennifer Allen

Re: msi aborts on attempt to install 2.0.39 over 2.036 on NT4.0

Posted by Jeff Beard <je...@cyberxape.com>.
I don't mean to be impertinent (or offensive) but you didn't
specifically mention using the "Add/Remove Software" control panel to
uninstall.

Anyway, if you have done so and I haven't offended you so much you quit
reading, you are probably correct in that there's a registry key it's
tripping over.

Have you tried a search for 'Apache'? I found 2 keys in
HKEY_L_M\Software\: "Apache Group" and "Apache Software Foundation".

--Jeff