Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/01 09:44:35 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS]: AOO 3.4.1 reflection and lessons learned

KG01 - see comments inline

On Sep 29, 2012, at 8:56 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 28/09/2012 Kevin Grignon wrote:
>> I really like to identify opportunities for improvement, capture them in a
>> some-day-maybe list (a.k.a. opportunity backlog). ...
>> I'd like to be able to easily and quickly capture my thoughts on
>> ideas on things we could improve the tool.
>
> At the moment, it would be great if you posted them to the Google Moderator page for OpenOffice 4.0 ideas at https://www.google.com/moderator/#16/e=2011d5 : most UI/UX changes will be targeted to 4.0 anyway, and this would allow the community to process all proposed ideas for 4.0 together.

While I will post my thoughts to Google Moderator to support ranking, the issue persists.

A centralized backlog is the only way to capture a single trusted source of opps for improvement.

>> I will capture my thoughts in the wiki.
>
> The wiki is full of well-meant and abandoned attempts at improving the OpenOffice UX, as you discovered during the initial cleanup. It is good as a storage place, though: so if we identify a good workflow to process the Google Moderator feedback and convert it to concrete actions, we could repeat it with your list; but for the time being it would likely be more effective to have everything in one place at Google Moderator.

I agree, the wiki is difficult to keep  aligned with current effort. However, it's all we have. I will do my best to trace all ideas between moderator, wiki and Bugzilla.