Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Arthur R." <ar...@hotmail.fr> on 2017/08/07 15:26:49 UTC

To PDF/a Conversion without licensed fonts (java)

Hello, I'm trying to convert ".fo" to PDF/a with FOP files for quite a long
time and I hoped you could help me. Please excuse my English.

I don't have the rights to use the base 14 fonts so I do have to substitute
those fonts with free fonts. In order to do so I have to embed those free
fonts through the "fop.conf" file then substitute them to the licensed
fonts. I thought the following codes would do the trick but it failed:

-Declare the FreeFont (FF) with the Licensed Font (LF) name:
        <...font kerning="yes"
embed-url="C:/Users/thinkpad/workspace/FopConverter/Fonts/ttf/arial.ttf"
name="Arial" >
        <.../font>

-Declare the FF with its own name then substitute the LF by the FF:
        <...font kerning="yes"
embed-url="C:/Users/thinkpad/workspace/FopConverter/Fonts/arial.ttf"
name="Arial">
        <.../font>
       <substitutions>
         <substitution>
           <from font-family="Helvetica" font-weight="700..900"/>
           <to font-family="Arial"/>
         </substitution>
       </substitutions>

-I also tried to declare the font with <directory></directory> or with
<auto-detect/>, then made the substitution, but it did not worked.

One of the reason of this fail might be that I miss declared the base14
fonts. I think that with the present FOP documentation it is really hard to
correctly declare a font which will serve as base 14 font. I would like to
have an exemple of how to declare a LF substitute. Such an exemple would
make Apache FOP use for PDF/a creation much easier.

Re: To PDF/a Conversion without licensed fonts (java)

Posted by "Stefan Hegny (hydrografix Consulting GmbH)" <he...@hydrografix.com>.
Hello,
ah ok, I see, the afm files must be besides the PFM files. My
ghostscript installation places them right in the same directory.
Sorry I missed that
BR, Stefan

Re: To PDF/a Conversion without licensed fonts (java)

Posted by "Arthur R." <ar...@hotmail.fr>.
Hello,
I tried your code after putting the ghostScript polices in the right file
but it seem that fonts `embed-url` only accept `.pfm` or `.afm` since I got
this error:

Input: XSL-FO (.\xml\fo\fonts.fo)
Output: PDF (.\out\ResultFO2PDF.pdf)

Transforming...
août 10, 2017 5:17:40 PM org.apache.fop.fonts.LazyFont load
GRAVE: Failed to read font metrics file null
java.io.FileNotFoundException: Neither an AFM nor a PFM file was found for
C:/Users/thinkpad/workspace/FopConverter/Fonts/ttf/ghostFonts/notTtfFonts/n019003l.pfb

I still don't quite understand how the way FOP font's configuration but no
it doesn't matter.
I moved onto another java library that use Word to do the conversion since
it's easier but thank you for your help.
Fop look like an amazing library but maybe it is a too complex tool for a
novice like me.

Re: To PDF/a Conversion without licensed fonts (java)

Posted by "Stefan Hegny (hydrografix Consulting GmbH)" <he...@hydrografix.com>.
Hello Arthur,
what you could try (checking the license) is using the ghostscript fonts
like...
embed-url="file:///usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/n019003l.pfb">
weight="normal"/>
weight="normal"/>
weight="normal"/>
weight="normal"/>
weight="normal"/>
weight="normal"/>
embed-url="file:///usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/n019004l.pfb">
weight="bold"/>
weight="bold"/>
weight="bold"/>
weight="bold"/>
weight="bold"/>
weight="normal"/>
embed-url="file:///usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/n021003l.pfb">
weight="normal"/>
weight="normal"/>
style="normal" weight="normal"/>
weight="normal"/>
weight="normal"/>
embed-url="file:///usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/n021004l.pfb">
weight="bold"/>
weight="bold"/>
style="normal" weight="bold"/>
weight="bold"/>
weight="bold"/>
etc.
BR Stefan

07.08.2017 17:26, Arthur R. wrote:
> Hello, I'm trying to convert ".fo" to PDF/a with FOP files for quite a long
> time and I hoped you could help me. Please excuse my English.
>
> I don't have the rights to use the base 14 fonts so I do have to substitute
> those fonts with free fonts. In order to do so I have to embed those free
> fonts through the "fop.conf" file then substitute them to the licensed
> fonts. I thought the following codes would do the trick but it failed:
>
> -Declare the FreeFont (FF) with the Licensed Font (LF) name:
>         <...font kerning="yes"
> embed-url="C:/Users/thinkpad/workspace/FopConverter/Fonts/ttf/arial.ttf"
> name="Arial" >
>         <.../font>
>
> -Declare the FF with its own name then substitute the LF by the FF:
>         <...font kerning="yes"
> embed-url="C:/Users/thinkpad/workspace/FopConverter/Fonts/arial.ttf"
> name="Arial">
>         <.../font>
>        <substitutions>
>          <substitution>
>            <from font-family="Helvetica" font-weight="700..900"/>
>            <to font-family="Arial"/>
>          </substitution>
>        </substitutions>
>
> -I also tried to declare the font with <directory></directory> or with
> <auto-detect/>, then made the substitution, but it did not worked.
>
> One of the reason of this fail might be that I miss declared the base14
> fonts. I think that with the present FOP documentation it is really hard to
> correctly declare a font which will serve as base 14 font. I would like to
> have an exemple of how to declare a LF substitute. Such an exemple would
> make Apache FOP use for PDF/a creation much easier.

Stefan Hegny, Geschäftsführer/Manager
hydrografix Consulting GmbH       hegny@hydrografix.com
Tel. +49 - 173-3257674            Fax +49 - 6106-772614
Görlitzer Str. 13
D-63110 Rodgau                    Amtsgericht Offenbach/Main HRB 43974
Geschäftsführer: Roland Junker, Stefan Hegny