Posted to users@camel.apache.org by aedwards <ad...@middleware360.com> on 2013/10/18 07:33:33 UTC

hawtio - modular

Hey guys, there doesn't seem to be a forum for hawtio, so figured this is as
good place as any to discuss.  Let me know if there's a better spot.

I currently have a custom grails web application fronting camel, spring
batch and some other tools.  This app is a little purpose specific at the
moment, however there are a lot of generic components I would like to
eventually port /rewrite as hawtio plugins.

I figured the easiest way to head in that direction would be to include
hawtio inside my grails app as a maven dependency, then start adopting the
hawtio plugin architecture and move the common components to plugins and
contribute back.

Currently the hawtio-web component is packaged as a war archive.  wondering
if James or someone from the hawtio dev could comment on this, would it be
possible to possibly create a hawtio-core maven artifact which publishes all
the common components as a jar, then a second web component which bundles
the dependencies as the war?   Think this would help others adopt.  I am
Currently using the maven overlay method,  Having used that in the past, it
doesn't work well as maven no longer manages about all the dependencies
properly and you have to d/l that large war all the time.

Secondly.  Any thoughts about security?  One of the other key things in our
grails app is that there is built in security using
spring-security/spring-security-acl so all different components have the
ability to implement role based security in the application.   Wondering if
there are plans to incorporate a security framework into hawtio.  I'm
guessing this would be a little bit tougher due to the ajax/jolikia, but was
wondering what the plans are anyways?   Would be nice to work towards
something.

Basically, i'd love to be able to use the hawtio plugings in my custom
application and start being able to contribute to them and create new ones,
however given the way it's all bundled right now, makes it a little tricky.
Could anyone provide any good recommendations.

Thanks.

Re: hawtio - modular

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 18 October 2013 08:53, James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Adam
>
> On 18 October 2013 06:33, aedwards <ad...@middleware360.com> wrote:
>
>> Hey guys, there doesn't seem to be a forum for hawtio, so figured this is
>> as
>> good place as any to discuss.  Let me know if there's a better spot.
>>

> Sure. Up to now we've just been using github issues but here's cool too
> https://github.com/hawtio/hawtio/issues?labels=fabric&state=open

We created a google group a while back:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/hawtio

though we've been trying to avoid using it as github issues is so much
easier to work with ;) Though maybe we should take this conversation over
there?

--
James
-------

Email: jstracha@redhat.com
Web: http://fusesource.com
Twitter: jstrachan, fusenews
Blog: http://macstrac.blogspot.com/

Open Source Integration

Re: hawtio - modular

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hey Adam

On 18 October 2013 06:33, aedwards <ad...@middleware360.com> wrote:

> Hey guys, there doesn't seem to be a forum for hawtio, so figured this is
> as
> good place as any to discuss.  Let me know if there's a better spot.

Sure. Up to now we've just been using github issues but here's cool too
https://github.com/hawtio/hawtio/issues?labels=fabric&state=open

I currently have a custom grails web application fronting camel, spring
> batch and some other tools.  This app is a little purpose specific at the
> moment, however there are a lot of generic components I would like to
> eventually port /rewrite as hawtio plugins.

Awesome! :)

I figured the easiest way to head in that direction would be to include
> hawtio inside my grails app as a maven dependency, then start adopting the
> hawtio plugin architecture and move the common components to plugins and
> contribute back.

Great! :)

Currently the hawtio-web component is packaged as a war archive.  wondering
> if James or someone from the hawtio dev could comment on this, would it be
> possible to possibly create a hawtio-core maven artifact which publishes
> all
> the common components as a jar, then a second web component which bundles
> the dependencies as the war?

We do that for the most part; we've never really documented the 'server
side java plugins' yet but there's quite a few so far here:
https://github.com/hawtio/hawtio

the things starting hawtio-* excluding hawtio-*(base|default|web). e.g.
hawtio-aether, hawtio-dozer, hawtio-git, hawtio-json-schema-mbean,
hawtio-local-jvm-mbean, hawtio-maven-indexer etc

The thing is, hawtio is mostly just the WAR really (i.e. HTML / JS / CSS)
there's not really much in the way of server side; unless you count jolokia
which is already a jar. Anything in the WAR you don't want its easy to
exclude via  the maven war plugin
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-war-plugin/examples/including-excluding-files-from-war.html

This kinda idea came up recently BTW and here's my reply:
https://github.com/hawtio/hawtio/issues/649

So you're options are:

* leave hawtio as it is and build your own war separately; donating any
plugins you like into hawtio - or hosting them in your own war using the
plugin loading mechanism

* either build yourself or we could build a version of hawtio-web.war with
no jars inside; you can then put them back in yourself. The
hawtio-default.war is an example where we depend on hawtio-base.war
https://github.com/hawtio/hawtio/blob/master/hawtio-default/pom.xml#L23

then add server side dependencies (with mvn handling transitive
dependencies)
https://github.com/hawtio/hawtio/blob/master/hawtio-default/pom.xml#L23

Its your call really how you want to proceed; but if you do want to combine
your own stuff with hawtio inside a WAR then I don't see much alternative
to depending on the hawtio war; or at least mimicking what the war
dependency gives you (e.g. unpacking the hawtio-web.war and copying the
content somewhere so it can be included into your WAR somehow).

We're more than happy to help make hawtio easier to consume/embed/reuse;
I'm not sure what else we can do really (other than maybe a build of
hawtio-web with no jars; but its easy to folks to do that themselves?)

Think this would help others adopt.  I am
> Currently using the maven overlay method,  Having used that in the past, it
> doesn't work well as maven no longer manages about all the dependencies
> properly and you have to d/l that large war all the time.

Though when there's not many mvn dependencies inside hawtio-web its not
such an issue; i.e. anything you add (any of the existing hawtio server
side Java plugins  or your own plugins you add) would use the maven
dependencies.

> Secondly.  Any thoughts about security?  One of the other key things in our
> grails app is that there is built in security using
> spring-security/spring-security-acl so all different components have the
> ability to implement role based security in the application.   Wondering if
> there are plans to incorporate a security framework into hawtio.

We're happy to. Right now we've a basic security filter; but it should be
easy to switch out and use anything you like.

> I'm
> guessing this would be a little bit tougher due to the ajax/jolikia, but
> was
> wondering what the plans are anyways?   Would be nice to work towards
> something.
>
> Basically, i'd love to be able to use the hawtio plugings in my custom
> application and start being able to contribute to them and create new ones,
> however given the way it's all bundled right now, makes it a little
> tricky.

Could anyone provide any good recommendations.

We're more than happy to help! Really looking forward to your contributions
:)

Maybe we could raise specific issues on the hawtio issue tracker?  (e.g.
making it easy to switch out the security filter; or making a no-jars-war
or whatnot?)

--
James
-------

Re: hawtio - modular

Posted by Łukasz Dywicki <lu...@code-house.org>.
You are right, this is not hawt.io forum. Since you are able to name hawt.io authors you can them directly, create github issue, or ask them to start new group somewhere to have central place where you could discuss about new features and so on.

Cheers,
Lukasz

Wiadomość napisana przez aedwards <ad...@middleware360.com> w dniu 18 paź 2013, o godz. 07:33: