Posted to log4cxx-user@logging.apache.org by Jon Dahl <jd...@yahoo.com> on 2008/09/12 19:00:39 UTC

Forward Declaration

Hello,

I'm wondering if it is possible to use forward declaration with log4cxx classes in a class header file. I would like to exclude the log4cxx headers files in my header files if possible and include the log4cxx header files in my cpp(source) files.

Should this work?

// Test.hpp
namespace log4cxx {
class LoggerPtr;
}

class Test {
private:
    static log4cxx:LoggerPtr    _logger;

public:
    Test();
};

//Test.cpp

#include <log4cxx/logger.h>

using namespace log4cxx;

LoggerPtr Test::_logger(Logger::getRootLogger());

Test::Test() {
}

// end test.cpp

Thanks,

-jd-

Re: Forward Declaration

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
On Sep 12, 2008, at 12:00 PM, Jon Dahl wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm wondering if it is possible to use forward declaration with
> log4cxx classes in a class header file. I would like to exclude the
> log4cxx headers files in my header files if possible and include the
> log4cxx header files in my cpp(source) files.
>
> Should this work?

No.  LoggerPtr is a template expansion and you'd need at least the
template definition incorporate it in a header file.  However, you may
want to consider not having a LoggerPtr in your class definition at
all, but just have it in your implementation.  Something like:

myfoo.cpp

#include <log4cxx/logger.h>

//  anonymous namespace, members are visible only in this compilation
unit
//   like static but better
//
namespace {
log4cxx::LoggerPtr logger(log4cxx::Logger::getRootLogger());
}

void Foo::someFunction() {
     LOG4CXX_INFO(logger, "Hello, World");
}

RE: Forward Declaration

Posted by re...@rubixinfotech.com.
Stephen - you're right... if the class itself is used, the compiler won't
know how to construct it... if it is a ptr, it won't complain.

Renny Koshy
President & CEO

Rubix Information Technologies, Inc.
www.rubixinfotech.com

"Stephen Bartnikowski" <sb...@barkinglizards.com>
09/12/2008 01:16 PM
Please respond to
"Log4CXX User" <lo...@logging.apache.org>

"'Log4CXX User'" <lo...@logging.apache.org>
cc

Subject
RE: Forward Declaration

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it will. In Test.hpp,
the compiler doesn't know what type LoggerPtr is. Since you're referring
to that type directly rather than by a pointer, the compiler needs to know
the full details. It doesn't know that in reality it's a pointer type
defined elsewhere. If for example, your code instead read:

class Test {
private:
    static log4cxx::LoggerPtr* _logger;

then the compiler wouldn't complain.