Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Didier Croutz <di...@univ-nancy2.fr> on 2006/11/16 14:20:48 UTC

Tomcat directories location

Hello,

I'm working for an University. Our workstations are unmarked so each
student is able to work on every workstations. But we must save students
data on their home directoy wich is a network drive mounted on a Windows
sharing.

They' ll use Tomcat 5.5.20 so we must configure this software to work
this network drive.

The first step was to redirect the application directory and the users
database. I modified the server.xml the following way:

_*server.xml file*_

<Server port="8005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN">

  <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener" />
  <Listener
className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.ServerLifecycleListener" />
  <Listener
className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener" />
  <Listener
className="org.apache.catalina.storeconfig.StoreConfigLifecycleListener"/>

  <GlobalNamingResources>

    <Environment name="simpleValue" type="java.lang.Integer" value="30"/>

type="org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase" description="User database that
can be updated and saved"
pathname="H:/Tomcat/conf/tomcat-users.xml" />

  </GlobalNamingResources>

  <Service name="Catalina">

    <Connector port="8080" maxHttpHeaderSize="8192" maxThreads="150"
minSpareThreads="25" maxSpareThreads="75" enableLookups="false"
redirectPort="8443" acceptCount="100" connectionTimeout="20000"
disableUploadTimeout="true" />

    <Connector port="8009"
               enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443"
protocol="AJP/1.3" />

resourceName="UserDatabase"/>

      <Host name="localhost" appBase="H:/Tomcat/webapps"
unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true" xmlValidation="false"
xmlNamespaceAware="false">

      </Host>

    </Engine>

  </Service>

</Server>

Moreover we have to start Tomcat not as a service but as a simple
application with the script below (*). Otherwise Tomcat doesn't
recognize redirected application directory even if we change the user
who launch the Tomcat service to the ower of the network drive.

(*) *_Tomcat.bat file_*

/set TOMCAT_HOME=C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 5.5
set JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files\Java

"%TOMCAT_HOME%\bin\tomcat5.exe" \
-install "tomcat" \
"%JAVA_HOME%\jre\bin\client\jvm.dll" \
"-Djava.class.path=%TOMCAT_HOME%\bin\bootstrap.jar;%JAVA_HOME%\lib\tools.jar"
\
"-Dcatalina.home=%TOMCAT_HOME%" \
-Xrs -Xms128m -Xmx256m \
-start org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap -params start \
-stop org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap -params stop \
-out "H:\Tomcat\Logs\stdout.log" -err "H:\Tomcat\Logs\stderr.log"
/

That's ok for users database but not all the log files are redirected
into "H:\Tomcat\Logs", it's the first trouble.

Next I'd like to redirect "temp", "work" and may be "conf" directories
on the network drive but dont't know how to do this. Anybody can help me ?

Didier Croutz.