Posted to log4cxx-dev@logging.apache.org by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de> on 2014/02/10 18:00:11 UTC

Freezing trunk?

Hi all,

yesterday I started to have a look at each open bug and applied a lot
of patches which were already available and made sense to me or looked
easy enough to not break too much etc. Most of the leftover bugs don't
seem to be easily fixable and we should shift those to another release
in the future.

So, how about freezing the trunk now and mostly only apply fixes for
the patches? I'm sadly still unable to build, therefore need your
support to test the current trunk and report everything I broke. I
will help as much as I can on fixing things, of course.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

--
Thorsten Schöning       E-Mail:Thorsten.Schoening@AM-SoFT.de

Telefon...........05151-  9468- 55
Fax...............05151-  9468- 88
Mobil..............0178-8 9468- 04

Re: Freezing trunk?

Posted by Rhys Ulerich <rh...@gmail.com>.
>> (a) makes visual studio 6 projects, which cannot be used by Visual
>> studio versions above 2008; so you have to convert them with a VS2008
>> before being able to build with 2010, 2012 or later.
>
> Isn't that an argument to remove the creation of projects by cpptasks?
> I have the feeling this would make the build script more maintainable
> and we would be less dependent on cpptasks, which isn't supported
> anymore anyways.

+1

- Rhys

Re: Freezing trunk?

Posted by Rhys Ulerich <rh...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 2:44 AM, Thorsten Schöning
<ts...@am-soft.de> wrote:
>> - org.apache.xml.serialize ->
>> com.sun.org.apache.xml.internal.serialize
> - /Zi ->> /Z7
>
> Interesting, I never did those changes but mvn simply works. There's
> only some warnings.

Same here.  If you're using Ant, I'd do it through Maven.

- Rhys

Re: Freezing trunk?

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag Florian Seydoux,
am Dienstag, 25. Februar 2014 um 07:11 schrieben Sie:

> - org.apache.xml.serialize ->
> com.sun.org.apache.xml.internal.serialize
- /Zi ->> /Z7

Interesting, I never did those changes but mvn simply works. There's
only some warnings.

> btw - seems a bit strange to require java to be able to build a C++ project.

Not stranger than using Perl or shell scripts or whatever is used in
different built tools. :-) I personally like the idea of abstracting
different compilers and environments, the problem only is with if it
simply doesn't work anymore and one needs to dig into it to get things
fixed. With Perl or shell code one can more easy change things most of
the time, cpptasks instead is a different project which needs to get
built on it's own, one needs to make patched versions available to ant
and/or maven etc.

I will maybe look more closely into cpptasks in the future weeks.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

Re: Freezing trunk?

Posted by Florian Seydoux <fs...@apache.org>.
On 18.02.2014 10:16, Thorsten Schöning wrote:
> I'm pretty sure to not use a patched version of cpptask with VS 2013
> currently. Could you provide a link? I'm simply using mvn compile or
> mvn package or else.

I'm using apache-ant-1.8.4 + ant-contrib-1.0b2 + cpptasks-1.0b5, with
jdk 1.6 or 1.7 (often needed only to build log4cxx :-/ )

the source of cpptask must be modified to be properly compiled (just
calling 'ant jar'):
- org.apache.xml.serialize -> com.sun.org.apache.xml.internal.serialize
- /Zi -> /Z7

it's maybe not required for the 'vcproj' targets, but at least is (was?)
required for the direct build.

>> (a) makes visual studio 6 projects,
Note: I just discovered that export to VS2008 is now possible
(still require a "manual" import to VS 2012)

> Isn't that an argument to remove the creation of projects by cpptasks?
> I have the feeling this would make the build script more maintainable
> and we would be less dependent on cpptasks, which isn't supported
> anymore anyways.
I think so - managing the several build option (static/shared lib,
static/dynamic runtime, debug/release target, etc) is not
straightforward with them.

> mvn package successfully builds and executes the test for me on VS 2013
> Express.

I never tried with maven... Probably I should give a t

btw - seems a bit strange to require java to be able to build a C++ project.

When looking at the build of apr, I'm tempted to have a try with Cmake.

--
flo

Re: Freezing trunk?

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag Florian Seydoux,
am Dienstag, 18. Februar 2014 um 07:27 schrieben Sie:

Re: Freezing trunk?

Posted by Florian Seydoux <fs...@apache.org>.
On 11.02.2014 22:18, Thorsten Schöning wrote:

> Why do you think that? I've thought that besides getting apr and
> apr-util in the right directory it's more or less a simple "mvn
> compile" or something?

Except if I missed something, it's really not that simple.

With ant, you have the choice to generate (a) Visual studio project, or
(b) compile directly the source (aka make).

But it's first required to add ant-contrib + a slightly patched version
of cpptask.

(a) makes visual studio 6 projects, which cannot be used by Visual
studio versions above 2008; so you have to convert them with a VS2008
before being able to build with 2010, 2012 or later.
The (b) path is more straightforward (direct call to the compiler

Re: Freezing trunk?

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag Florian Seydoux,
am Dienstag, 11. Februar 2014 um 20:21 schrieben Sie:

> (not always aligned with the coding style of
> the rest of the lib).

I simply ignored that for now because I have the feeling the current
codebase isn't very consistent anyways and felt that getting
outstanding patches in is more important than codestyle. Shall we
raise this topic again in some weeks or after our first release? I
would happily reformat some of the files like I did with the XML. ;-)

> Regarding the tests, I'm able to pass some under windows + visual studio
> (btw, the express edition can definitively used to build the lib).

Good to know, I will think about installing one but my primary goal is
to get something running with my compiler.

Re: Freezing trunk?

Posted by Florian Seydoux <fs...@apache.org>.
On 10.02.2014 18:00, Thorsten Schöning wrote:
> [...]
> So, how about freezing the trunk now

Good idea (and really good initiative).
I'm anyway a bit like Joseph - except that I'll need more time (~a week)
to close something.

To be honest, I've looked at some ticket with patch, but I wasn't really
happy with them (not always aligned with the coding style of
the rest of the lib).

Regarding the tests, I'm able to pass some under windows + visual studio
(btw, the express edition can definitively used to build the lib).
Having it on a CI is a bit more complicated (assuming a windows OS +
visual express); the build from ant can be done in two (at least)
way, but none of them can easily be automatized.

Florian

--
flo

Re: Freezing trunk?

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag Joseph Southwell,
am Montag, 10. Februar 2014 um 18:08 schrieben Sie:

> Can I have 2 more days before we do this. I have some bugs assigned
> to me that I haven’t checked in yet that need some more testing and
> verification. If you give me 2 more days I will get it all squared away.

Don't hurry, I'm unlikely to work on this any further until weekend.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

Re: Freezing trunk?

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag Alexandru Zbarcea,
am Montag, 10. Februar 2014 um 19:50 schrieben Sie:

> From which I understand, those are in linux.

I'm pretty sure Christian mentioned Windows as well.

http://ci.apache.org/#buildbot
http://ci.apache.org/#jenkins

> Btw, where is that page with environments we support or we had tests?

There's none, we only have a page were we mention the environment some
project members use, but it's no officially supported or testet list.
But it's not published yet, you need to build the project site using
"mvn site" yourself first and open building/index.html or look in the
source at trunk\src\site\xdoc\building\index.xml.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

Re: Freezing trunk?

Posted by Alexandru Zbarcea <zb...@gmail.com>.
>From which I understand, those are in linux. In order to test with
VisualStudio compiler we need license for those. I know about MS Academic
program which give licensees for universities  for free. If a University
can sponsor us with those it would be great.

Right now, I'm in a discussion with one. I'll keep you posted...

Btw, where is that page with environments we support or we had tests?

Regards,
Alex

Re: Freezing trunk?

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.

Re: Freezing trunk?

Posted by Alexandru Zbarcea <zb...@gmail.com>.
I will do today some testing as well.

I will create a branch in git for every commit you did and see where the
problems are. However, I'm unable to compile in Windows, only in linux,

May we have some VMs where to test multiple environments? May we have some
Vagrant machines for example, or Virtualbox? Is anybody in the Microsoft
Academic Program to provide us some VMs for test?

Best regards,
Alex

Re: Freezing trunk?

Posted by Joseph Southwell <jo...@southwell.org>.