Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Bailey Brownie <ba...@gmail.com> on 2023/02/04 04:17:29 UTC

Regarding IDE configuration files

Hi all,

Recently, when setting up Tomcat for development with the Eclipse IDE, I
noticed that the configuration files that come with Tomcat had multiple
hard-coded (and outdated) references to some dependencies.

Is it a good idea to handle class path configuration for IDEs by using a
filterset when copying the config files in the IDE build targets? Are
there any potential downsides to this approach?

Thanks,
Bailey

Re: Regarding IDE configuration files

Posted by Bailey Brownie <ba...@gmail.com>.
On 2/6/23 2:28 PM, Coty Sutherland wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 4, 2023 at 5:21 AM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> 4 Feb 2023 04:17:29 Bailey Brownie <ba...@gmail.com>:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Recently, when setting up Tomcat for development with the Eclipse IDE,
>>> I noticed that the configuration files that come with Tomcat had
>>> multiple hard-coded (and outdated) references to some dependencies.
>>
>> Sorry. That is probably me forgetting to update those files.
>>
>>> Is it a good idea to handle class path configuration for IDEs by using
>>> a filterset when copying the config files in the IDE build targets? Are
>>> there any potential downsides to this approach?
>>
>> Excellent idea. No downside I can think of.
>>

> +1

Thank you both for the feedback. I have opened a pull request with my
changes, please review them and let me know if any modifications are
required.

With these changes, it should not be necessary to add classpath
variables for ANT_HOME and TOMCAT_LIBS_BASE in Eclipse anymore. I have
also used the existing "version.filters" filterset to get the required
Java version for building Tomcat. I am not sure that is
backwards-compatible with Tomcat versions that require a Java version
below 9.. perhaps there is a better way of setting the Java version for
the IDE config files?

Posted by Coty Sutherland <cs...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
4 Feb 2023 04:17:29 Bailey Brownie <ba...@gmail.com>:

> Hi all,
>
> Recently, when setting up Tomcat for development with the Eclipse IDE,
> I noticed that the configuration files that come with Tomcat had
> multiple hard-coded (and outdated) references to some dependencies.

Sorry. That is probably me forgetting to update those files.

> Is it a good idea to handle class path configuration for IDEs by using
> a filterset when copying the config files in the IDE build targets? Are
> there any potential downsides to this approach?

Excellent idea. No downside I can think of.

Mark