Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Herb Burnswell <he...@gmail.com> on 2019/02/12 19:21:01 UTC

Server Name Identification (SNI) configuration Tomcat 8.5.23

All,

Tomcat: 8.5.23
OS: RHEL 7.5

I am attempting to set up Tomcat to use two keystore's with SNI.  Tomcat
starts successfully but but I receive a timeout when trying to access
either of the defined server names.

Here is a single server name configuration that works successfully:

<Connector port="8443"

                maxHttpHeaderSize="8192"

                maxPostSize="6291456"

                maxThreads="150"

                protocol="HTTP/1.1"

                executor="appExecutor"

                enableLookups="false"

                acceptCount="100"

                connectionTimeout="20000"

                disableUploadTimeout="true"

                URIEncoding="UTF-8"

                SSLEnabled="true"

                scheme="https"

                secure="true"

                clientAuth="false"

                sslProtocol="TLS"

                keystoreType="PKCS12"

                keystoreFile="/app/certs/config/ex1_keystore.p12"
                keystorePass="<passwd>" />

Here is the SNI configuration that I'm trying:

<Connector port="8443"

                maxHttpHeaderSize="8192"

                maxPostSize="6291456"

                maxThreads="150"

                protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol"

                executor="appExecutor"

                enableLookups="false"

                acceptCount="100"

                connectionTimeout="20000"

                disableUploadTimeout="true"

                URIEncoding="UTF-8"

                SSLEnabled="true"

                scheme="https"

                secure="true"

                defaultSSLHostConfigName="*.example1.com">

                <SSLHostConfig hostName="*.example1.com">

                        <Certificate certificateKeystoreType="PKCS12"

certificateKeystoreFile="/app/certs/config/ex1_keystore.p12"

                        certificateKeystorePassword="<passwd>"

                        type="RSA"/>

                </SSLHostConfig>

                <SSLHostConfig hostName="*.example2.com">

                        <Certificate certificateKeystoreType="PKCS12"

certificateKeystoreFile="/app/certs/config/ex2_keystore.p12"

                        certificateKeystorePassword="<passwd>"

                        type="RSA"/>

                </SSLHostConfig>

    </Connector>

As mentioned, Tomcat start successfully, but the sites time out.  There is
nothing in the logs that indicate a request is even made.

Am I missing something in this configuration?  Any guidance is greatly
appreciated.

Best,

HB

Re: Server Name Identification (SNI) configuration Tomcat 8.5.23

Posted by Herb Burnswell <he...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 11:37 AM Herb Burnswell <he...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 11:26 AM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On 12/02/2019 19:21, Herb Burnswell wrote:
>> > All,
>> >
>> > Tomcat: 8.5.23
>> > OS: RHEL 7.5
>> >
>> > I am attempting to set up Tomcat to use two keystore's with SNI.  Tomcat
>> > starts successfully but but I receive a timeout when trying to access
>> > either of the defined server names.
>>
>> <snip/>
>>
>> > As mentioned, Tomcat start successfully, but the sites time out.  There
>> is
>> > nothing in the logs that indicate a request is even made.
>> >
>> > Am I missing something in this configuration?  Any guidance is greatly
>> > appreciated.
>>
>> What do the logs say when Tomcat starts with the non-working
>> configuration?
>>
>> Mark

> Thanks for the reply Mark.  Unfortunately there no extra information in
> the logs from the non-working configuration.  It appears that everything
> starts successfully with working and non-working configuration.
>
> As mentioned, the timeout attempting to connect to the SNI domains does
> not register in the logs either.
>
> HB

Damn, my bad.  I figured it out.

Embarrassingly, I had an incorrect password for one of the keystores.  I
was focusing so much on the configuration parameters I overlooked the
simple part.

Thanks,

Posted by Herb Burnswell <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.