Posted to marketing@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2014/02/06 19:39:32 UTC

Re: About International Mother Language Day

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 3:49 AM, Khan Md. Anwarus Salam
<km...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to inform you this year theme of the International Mother
> Language Day 2014 : “Local languages for global citizenship: spotlight on
> science”-“Langues locales pour la citoyenneté mondiale: zoom sur la
> science”.
>
> Based on this maybe this year also we can do blog post, change OpenOffice
> logo to celebrate this day on February 21. Please let us know if you have
> any more ideas to contribute.

We still have the logo that Robin designed for us last year:

http://www.openoffice.org/images/AOO_logos/IMLD_OO.png

We could use that again.  Or if we want to "refresh" it there is still time.

Science and local language and OpenOffice -- We should think of what a
story here could be.

Regards,

-Rob

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 2:38 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
> Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> If there are any corrections please get them ASAP.  I'd like to go
>> live with in 4 hours or so.
>

> I got the "Expired certificate" errors too, but I've seen Infra discussing
> this recently, so I'm rather sure they know.
>
> If you count languages, make sure (for accuracy) to remove "kid" that is an
> artificial language we use for KeyIDs and has no native speakers (not to be
> confused with a real human language that has ISO code "kid").

OK.  I reduced the count by 1, so we don't count 'kid'.

Regards,

-Rob

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 2:04 PM, Donald Whytock <dw...@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
>> live with in 4 hours or so.
>>
>> -Rob
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 7:17 PM, Khan Md. Anwarus Salam
>> <km...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Here is my blog draft:On International Mother Language Day the UN's
>> > Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) and UN
>> agencies
>> > participate in events that promote linguistic and cultural diversity.
>> They
>> > also encourage people to maintain their knowledge of their mother
>> language
>> > while learning and using more than one language. Governments and
>> > non-governmental
>> > organizations may use the day to announce policies to encourage language
>> > learning and support. You can visit
>> > http://www.internationalmotherlanguageday.com/ to know about worldwide
>> > #IMLD events.
>> > The Apache OpenOffice project is proud to help commemorate International
>> > Mother Language Day on February 21.  Read more about why this day is
>> > important, how OpenOffice supports linguistic diversity, and how you can
>> > help.Why February 21 was chosen?
>> >
>> > February 21st was declared as International Mother Language
>> > Day<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Mother_Language_Day
>> >(IMLD)
>> > by UNESCO.   IMLD originated as the international recognition of
>> > Language Movement Day, which has been commemorated in Bangladesh
>> (formerly
>> > East Pakistan) since 1952, when a number of Dhaka university students
>> were
>> > killed by the Pakistani police and army in Dhaka during the Bengali
>> > Language Movement <
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bengali_Language_Movement>.
>> > This is the only event where people gave their lives to preserve the
>> > independence of using their mother language.
>> > To remember them there is a monument named Language Martyr's Monument
>> (Shahid
>> > Minar <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaheed_Minar,_Dhaka>) in Dhaka
>> > University, Bangladesh. Every year more than a million people give
>> flowers
>> > there. This is a big event in Bangladesh. Many foreigners visit
>> Bangladesh
>> > just to experience the way the Bangladeshi people give respect to those
>> > brave hearts. Every town of Bangladesh has a Language Martyr's Monument,
>> > where local people give flowers.  A Language Martyr's Monument is also
>> > built in Ikebukoro park of Tokyo, Japan. There are also Language
>> Martyr's
>> > Monument in USA, UK, Italy and many other countries. Please think about
>> > your Mother Language not only on February 21 but also on other days.
>> >

>> > With Best Regards,
>> > Khan Md. Anwarus Salam

>> behind

>> will be
>> post.

> "This site's security certificate has expired!"

"Ikebukoro park" -> "Ikebukoro Park"

Aside from that, would it be desirable to mention how any language can be
developed for AOO, even as an independent effort?

Re: About International Mother Language Day

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@apache.org>.
> [...]

> > Monument in USA, UK, Italy and many other countries. Please think about
> > your Mother Language not only on February 21 but also on other days.
> >

> > With Best Regards,
> > Khan Md. Anwarus Salam
> >

> > On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 6:22 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org
> >wrote:

> behind
> >>>

> >> We are now very close to the deadline, so if you can write something we
> >> can look into publishing it, even though I'm not sure whether there
> will be
> >> enough time to complete it with some information about the OpenOffice
> >> language support. If someone can help with that, we could have a nice
> post.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>   Andrea.

"This site's security certificate has expired!"

Don

Re: About International Mother Language Day

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Khan Md. Anwarus Salam" <km...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Khan Md. Anwarus Salam" <km...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
Rob Weir wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 3:49 AM, Khan Md. Anwarus Salam
> <km...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like to inform you this year theme of the International Mother
>> Language Day 2014 : “Local languages for global citizenship: spotlight on
>> science”-“Langues locales pour la citoyenneté mondiale: zoom sur la
>> science”.
>>
>> Based on this maybe this year also we can do blog post, change OpenOffice
>> logo to celebrate this day on February 21. Please let us know if you have
>> any more ideas to contribute.
>>

> We still have the logo that Robin designed for us last year:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/images/AOO_logos/IMLD_OO.png
>
> We could use that again.  Or if we want to "refresh" it there is still time.
>
> Science and local language and OpenOffice -- We should think of what a
> story here could be.

Quite. But I'd also think it would be nice to have a story that does
what modern journalism does, only less boringly: look to specific
instances where localisation has enabled the use of these tools for
intellectual expression & community involvement. I think we can probably
get something like that from any number of places, including Indonesia
and Wales and so on.

> Regards,
>
> -Rob

Louis

>> With Best Regards,
>> Khan Md. Anwarus Salam
>>

>> On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 9:08 PM, Khan Md. Anwarus Salam <km...@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hello Everyone,
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot for your comment and supports.
>>>
>>> My comments follows..
>>>

>>> With Best Regards,
>>> Khan Md. Anwarus Salam

>>> So far no Logo for IMLD yet. so the designer is free .
>>> As I am new in this community, I need someones help to point me out the
>>> resources or the wikis of this community.

>>> Thanks a lot for helping in the blog. Can you please tell me how to sign
>>> up for the bloggin account. I got error here:
>>>
>>> https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/getinvolved.html

>>> I am the convener of the event. I was wondering if no one else can,
>>> whether I should wear the hat and present openffice in the event? Any
>>> thoughts?

>>> Please let me know whom to contact with the final press release?

>>> I agree. Is it possible to send the video making request to the OpenOffice
>>> Community by next week? We can make an announcement by making web event
>>> like I am doing for Japan Universities:
>>> https://www.facebook.com/events/133253840175366/

Louis Suárez-Potts
+1.416.625.3843 (-0500)