Posted to taglibs-user@tomcat.apache.org by "Canning, Chuck" <ch...@zilliant.com> on 2003/07/31 20:40:04 UTC

problem with forEach

Hi,

I am using JSTL and struts-el in a form, but the foreach is not returning my
values. If I use a scriplet, I see them. Here is a snippet of code in same
JSP. I added the scriptlet just to test that I wasn't working to late and
doing something stupid ;)

<%
    List alist;
    Iterator iterator;
    MessageHeader mHeader;

    alist = (List)request.getAttribute("headerList");
    //get the iterator
    iterator = alist.iterator();
    //step through
    while (iterator.hasNext() == true) {
        mHeader = (MessageHeader)iterator.next();
        %>
          sender <%=mHeader.getSender()%><br>
          subject <%=mHeader.getSubject()%><br>
          messageId <%=mHeader.getMessageId()%>
        <%
    }
%>

<c:forEach items="${headerList}" var="header">
  <c:choose>
    <c:when test="${index} % 2 == 0">
      <TR bgcolor="FFEDED">
    </c:when>
    <c:otherwise>
      <TR bgcolor="FFD8D8">
    </c:otherwise>
  </c:choose>
    <c:out value="${header.sender}"/>
    <c:out value="${header.subject}"/>
    <c:out value="${header.messageId}"/>
    <c:out value="${header.sender}"/>
    <c:out value="${header.subject}"/>
    <fmt:formatDate value="${header.date}" type="BOTH" dateStyle="LONG"
timeStyle="MEDIUM"/>
</c:forEach>

The scriplet shows all the fields, the JSTL/el tags show no values, but it
does have do the correct number of iterations through the list.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chuck

Re: problem with forEach

Posted by Chris Winters <cw...@optiron.com>.
Canning, Chuck wrote:
> I am using JSTL and struts-el in a form, but the foreach is not returning my
> values. If I use a scriplet, I see them. Here is a snippet of code in same
> JSP. I added the scriptlet just to test that I wasn't working to late and
> doing something stupid ;)

I'm pretty sure 'header' is a reserved variable. Try assigning the
list members to a variable of another name and see what happens.

Chris

--
Chris Winters (cwinters@optiron.com)
Senior Software Architect