Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by John Pedersen <jo...@gmail.com> on 2005/07/16 09:03:49 UTC

ServletException: javax/servlet/jsp/tagext/TagLibraryValidator

Hi,

I had an app that was working - then I upgraded to Tomcat 5.5.9, and Java 1.5.

Now I get a javax.servlet.ServletException:
javax/servlet/jsp/tagext/TagLibraryValidator when I try to start the
app. I have followed all the google links for this problem and trawled
through the docs - I'm stuck!

I use one page to declare my taglibs, and this is included in all the
other pages:

<%@ taglib prefix="spring" uri="http://www.springframework.org/tags" %>
<%@ taglib uri="http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core" prefix="c" %>

If I delete the second line, the app starts fine, although of course
all the c: tags aren't evaluated. So it seems that the problem is only
associated with the standard tags.

Here is what I have at the top of my web.xml (I have tried variations!):

<!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC
       "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.3//EN"

<web-app>

Here are the jar files I have in web-app\myApp\lib:

activation.jar
commons-collections.jar
commons-dbcp.jar
commons-fileupload.jar
commons-logging.jar
commons-pool.jar
cos.jar
itext-1.1.4.jar
jstl.jar
junit.jar
log4j-1.2.9.jar
mail.jar
mysql-connector-java-3.1.8-bin.jar
spring.jar
standard.jar
swissEph.jar

and the jar files I have in {tomcat-home}\common\lib:

commons-el.jar
jasper-compiler-jdt.jar
jasper-compiler.jar
jasper-runtime.jar
jsp-api.jar
naming-factory-dbcp.jar
naming-factory.jar
naming-resources.jar
servlet-api.jar

Inside the standard jar, in c.tld:

<description>JSTL 1.1 core library</description>
 <display-name>JSTL core</display-name>
 <tlib-version>1.1</tlib-version>
 <short-name>c</short-name>
 <uri>http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core</uri>

If anyone can help me solve this one, I'll be very relieved,

Thanks,

John Pedersen

Re: Fwd: ServletException: javax/servlet/jsp/tagext/TagLibraryValidator

Posted by John Pedersen <jo...@gmail.com>.
Phew! Solved. For those who find the same problem....

I had a copy of standard.jar in <JAVA-HOME>\lib\ext as well as in
<TOMCAT-HOME>\web-apps\appName\WEB-INF\lib

I think I tried putting it there a while ago, trying to fix something
else, and must have forgotten to remove it.

Thanks Cristoph...

John

Re: Fwd: ServletException: javax/servlet/jsp/tagext/TagLibraryValidator

Posted by Christoph Kutzinski <ku...@gmx.de>.
John Pedersen wrote:
> Christoph,
>
> I think there may be a little delay with the mailing list. The problem
> is solved. For reference, yes, I too have  the commons-logging-api.jar
> in the bin directory! Wonder why it was put there - that seems a
> little inconsistent, but I don't know enough about Tomcat to judge the
> matter.

That is exactly what I thought when I found it in bin: What the h*ll
does the jar do in here? ;)

Re: Fwd: ServletException: javax/servlet/jsp/tagext/TagLibraryValidator

Posted by John Pedersen <jo...@gmail.com>.
Christoph,

I think there may be a little delay with the mailing list. The problem
is solved. For reference, yes, I too have  the commons-logging-api.jar
in the bin directory! Wonder why it was put there - that seems a
little inconsistent, but I don't know enough about Tomcat to judge the
matter.

Putting a breakpoint in the source would have been a good and thorough
approach - I will try that next time!

Many thanks,

John

Posted by Christoph Kutzinski <ku...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Christoph Kutzinski <ku...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

Posted by John Pedersen <jo...@gmail.com>.
I just tried replacing the top of my web.xml file with:

    version="2.4">

The app started, but when I tried to load a page, I got the same error
and stack trace. I made sure too to remove all the compoled jsp's.

If you think of anything else to try, I'll be glad to give it a shot.

John

Posted by Christoph Kutzinski <ku...@gmx.de>.

Posted by John Pedersen <jo...@gmail.com>.
I have emailed the list administrator.