Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org> on 2010/08/25 09:59:27 UTC

Removing "other contributors" list

http://cayenne.apache.org/contributors.html

I was thinking we should remove the list of names from the "Other Contributors" section in the bottom. This list worked well when Cayenne was 2 years old, now that it is 9, it no longer makes any sense. The problem is not about the listed folks, but rather that there are many more people who did something comparable for Cayenne (like submitting a single patch, or reporting and investigating a non-obvious bug).

So in other words we don't have a clear criteria of whom to list in this section, and IMO should treat everybody equally by removing this section.

Thoughts? Objections?

Andrus

Re: Removing "other contributors" list

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.
On 25/08/10 5:59 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> http://cayenne.apache.org/contributors.html
>
> I was thinking we should remove the list of names from the "Other Contributors" section in the bottom. This list worked well when Cayenne was 2 years old, now that it is 9, it no longer makes any sense. The problem is not about the listed folks, but rather that there are many more people who did something comparable for Cayenne (like submitting a single patch, or reporting and investigating a non-obvious bug).
>
> So in other words we don't have a clear criteria of whom to list in this section, and IMO should treat everybody equally by removing this section.
>
> Thoughts? Objections?

For goodwill purposes I think it should stay. It does no harm, shows the breadth of contributions and gives those people some acknowledgement. Let's add to that list from time to time when needed, but I think it is useful to have a place to acknowledge people who contribute.

Ari

--
-------------------------->
Aristedes Maniatis

Re: Removing "other contributors" list

Posted by Michael Gentry <mg...@masslight.net>.
I think a thank you type page or list would be fine.  I'd keep the
names/etc if possible (I know it is a lot to keep track of, though).

mrg

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
It is more of a question of fairness than accuracy. I don't see this as a removal of an individual's name, but a removal of a section on the site. And definitely the goal is not to offend any single person listed there, but simply to reflect the fact that this particular mechanism of acknowledgement is flawed.

We do have a formal mechanism of acknowledging a noticeable contribution - granting committership. Some other types of contribution (such as web site designs for instance), were done as work for hire, sponsored by one of the existing committers (if I am not mistaken, as I only know of the earlier versions of the design).

Andrus

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.

Posted by Evgeny Ryabitskiy <ev...@gmail.com>.
> ...... Let's
> add to that list from time to time when needed, but I think it is useful to
> have a place to acknowledge people who contribute.

Like this idea more.

But there is still problem:

>.... we don't have a clear criteria of whom to list in this
> section, and IMO should treat everybody equally by removing this section.

Also like idea about treating everybody equally.

I suggest to use this list for everybody who submitted a single patch
which was approved and committed to SVN.
Also we can add some documentation contributors, those who describe at
least some peace of functionality (like page size).

> Also, I think we probably would have a list a mile long if we included
> everyone who made a minor contribution.

And it will be cool!
It will show that project is alive, that community is great and small
regrets to everyone who have contribute.

Evgeny.

Posted by "Eugene R." <ap...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.