Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/24 20:09:28 UTC

tapestry xdocs, which branch..4.0 or trunk ?

I haven't been keeping track, but I noticed that there were some recent
documentation changes to subversion head the are pertinent to 4.0.

Since it's likely that the trunk is going to start changing wildly with the
new maven2 move(assuming it is a sure thing ), as well as all of the
documentation I'm going to be adding for new stuff it seems like the best
way to handle this is to:

-) Apply the changes to trunk first, then merge into the 4.0 branch ...At
least until we start converting to maven2...(blehh)

-) Once we start changing the documentation implementation for 4.1 (ie maven
/etc..), we'll have to manually apply the changes to 4.0 after applying them
to 4.1.

So, mostly for your sake Howard since you are the only one (I think? ) that
does forrest public facing web updates, I'm going to be merging whatever
xdoc changes I find back into 4.0 (where they make sense) for the time
being....

Does that sound ok to everyone?

Also, I'd like to start exploring new documentation possibilities in 4.1 if
people think it's ok. The xdocs are great, but have obviously not been
completely ideal or else we probably would've seen more updates :)

One really nice way to do it would be a ~controlled~ wiki. Where we only
give out edit access to the documentation pages to whomever seems safe...I
don't think the current infrastructure really supports this notion, but it
would still be nice.  Mostly it seems the wiki isn't a good choice because
you can't have a "hybrid" sort of site. You are either navigating through
the public facing web site or you are navigating through this wiki system .
Sort of destroys a lot of the potential benefits of a wiki if you ask me.
(not that I have any answers of course, I just know how to bitch and moan ;)
)

I'd love to be able to do something like
http://manual.dojotoolkit.org/animation/Animation.html, where you can
customize the crud out of the css/everything for the wiki, but it's a pay
service and probably somehow doesn't fit with the apache rules.

Sorry, just randomly ranting and thinking out loud.

jesse