Posted to users@continuum.apache.org by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> on 2008/03/03 20:37:13 UTC

Re: Why is the parent pom upload compulsory ?

Hi,
inline.

2008/3/3, MATHUS Baptiste <ma...@mipih.fr>:
> Hi all,
>
>  I'm evaluating continuum 1.1.
Cool :-)
>  We've been using the 1.0 for some months now, and consider migrating mostly for the group management feature.
>  In fact, we're about to add more and more projects, and displaying them all in the same view seems quite unreasonnable.
>  I just tried adding one of our project and there seems to have a problem with the parent pom. The thing I don't get is why it's needed.
>  Is the "installation" feature related to this problem ? I didn't configure any "installation", should I configure my maven installation ? Doesn't continuum just use the path/environment it's running in by default ?

Yep continuum will use default user settings (PATH, JAVA_HOME etc...)

>  In fact, even if I empty the local repository and run mvn package from the project directory, the parent pom will be downloaded just fine.
>  The mvn command is configured correctly, so why doesn't continuum just use the same configuration ?
This parent pom should be available in a repo, you have to declare
this repo in the settings.xml (~/.m2/settings.xml)

>  Maybe we had to do the same thing with continuum 1.0 and I don't remember it ? In fact, I managed to do the build by uploading the parent pom, but it doesn't seem straightforward to me.
>  I also noticed that if I add the parent pom as a project, then delete it. Then adding a project that uses this parent pom works fine.
>  I guess there should be a part in the doc explaining this behaviour :).

When you add the parent pom in continuum, mvn install it in the local
repo.That's why it's available for other builds.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 1:28 AM, MATHUS Baptiste <ma...@mipih.fr> wrote:

> In fact, the maven version and binaries we're using is distributed to our developers with the right settings.xml file in $M2_HOME/conf directory.
> How come maven, launched by continuum, doesn't use $M2_HOME/conf/settings.xml if no $USER_HOME/.m2/settings.xml is found ?

It does use $M2_HOME/conf/settings.xml for builds.

The problem with not being able to add a project unless the parent pom
is present is a separate issue:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/CONTINUUM-1789

--
Wendy

RE: Why is the parent pom upload compulsory ?

Posted by Raffaele <r....@prismasw.it>.
MATHUS I think exactly as you and I'm not able to understand this very
strange behaviour....

The fact that Continuum doesn't look in M2_HOME\conf should be put in
evidence on Continuum site, writing it with a very big bolf font ;-)

Regards
Raffaele

RE: Why is the parent pom upload compulsory ?

Posted by MATHUS Baptiste <ma...@mipih.fr>.
Thanks for your answers,

That's certainly what's wrong. We don't have any $USER_HOME/.m2/settings.xml file. Only in $M2_HOME/conf.

In fact, the maven version and binaries we're using is distributed to our developers with the right settings.xml file in $M2_HOME/conf directory.
How come maven, launched by continuum, doesn't use $M2_HOME/conf/settings.xml if no $USER_HOME/.m2/settings.xml is found ?

Isn't it the maven binaries default behaviour? Why isn't it used ?
In fact, as I said, if I start maven from the command line from the same machine continuum is running in, it has no problem to use the $M2_HOME/conf/settings.xml and is able to download the parent pom if it's missing.

Cheers.

Posted by Sebastien Geindre <sg...@gmail.com>.
Baptiste,

--