Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com> on 1998/01/29 06:12:44 UTC

Proxy-Connection huh?

With this request:

GET http://www.novell.com/ HTTP/1.0
Proxy-Connection: Keep-Alive
Accept-Charset: iso-8859-1,*,utf-8

www.novell.com returns these headers:

HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 04:44:08 GMT
Server: Apache/1.2.0
Last-Modified: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 21:23:00 GMT
Etag: "54b80-3850-34ce5034"
Proxy-Connection: keep-alive

WTF.  Apache don't do Proxy-Connection headers, and it does do HTTP/1.1.

Should the Apache proxy be removing all Proxy-Connection headers to
avoid this?  Probably, even if it is bogus.

What I'm guessing is happening is that some product (specifically,
Novell BorderManager) is being used as a firewall proxy at Novell's
end in front of an Apache server and it adds the Proxy-Connection
header because it is being used as a proxy of types.  I guess no
one can say what is "wrong" with it because it isn't standard, but
in that case then it is dumb for keeping the connection open.

(oh yes, this comes from a recent PR talking about not being able
to load http://www.novell.com... the problem is that it is doing
a keepalive but the proxy server doesn't do keepalives)