Posted to dev@climate.apache.org by "Mattmann, Chris A (3980)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov> on 2014/07/23 01:44:28 UTC

Invitation to submit to AGU Session: #3501 Advanced Information Systems to Support Climate Projection Data Analysis

Hi all,

Apologies for the cross posting, but I would encourage you to consider
submitting an abstract to
the AGU session #3501: Advanced Information Systems to Support Climate
Projection Data Analysis. The
relevant information is below. Thank you for your consideration and we
would be happy to answer
any and all questions that you may have.

Cheers,
Chris Mattmann
(on behalf of Tsengdar Lee, Cecelia DeLuca, Gerald L Potter, and Chris A.
Mattmann)

Session ID#: 3501
Session Description:In this session we propose to bring together experts
in climate modeling, remote sensing of the Earth, and cyber
infrastructure. At NASA, we have seen a tremendous increase in the data
volume, velocity and complexity from surface, spacecraft, and airborne
instruments. There is a large demand in the climate community to
collaboratively bring these data to bear for model evaluation and
understanding. The climate model output volume is increasing (AR5 to AR6)
at comparatively huge rates, as are the data formats e.g., NetCDF/CF
multiple versions; to HDF4/5, and multiple versions of HDF-EOS. In these
Big Data environments we are interested in tools, techniques and
approaches for rapidly, effectively and collaboratively bringing climate
model output and remote sensing data together. Also of interest are
strategies for crowdsourcing the information systems. We encourage
presentations from funded members of NASA, NOAA, NSF, DOE, USGS, DARPA and
other Big Data communities.
Co-Sponsor(s):
* A - Atmospheric Sciences
* GC - Global Environmental Change

Index Terms:
1627 Coupled models of the climate system [GLOBAL CHANGE]
1920 Emerging informatics technologies [INFORMATICS]
3337 Global climate models [ATMOSPHERIC PROCESSES]
3360 Remote sensing [ATMOSPHERIC PROCESSES]

Primary Convener:  Tsengdar J Lee, NASA, Burke, VA, United States; NASA
Headquarters, Washington, DC, United States
Co-conveners:  Cecelia DeLuca, CIRES, Boulder, CO, United States; NOAA
Boulder, Boulder, CO, United States, Gerald L Potter, NASA Goddard Space
Flight Center, Benicia, CA, United States; University of Michigan Ann
Arbor, Ann Arbor, MI, United States and Chris A Mattmann, NASA Jet
Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, CA, United States

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Chief Architect
Office: 168-519, Mailstop: 168-527
Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov