Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Joshua Chamas <jo...@chamas.com> on 2000/04/21 22:39:03 UTC

[OT] Proxy Nice Failure

Hey,

I like the mod_proxy module in reverse httpd accel mode, but
am interested in having some nicer failure capabilities.  I have
hacked in this kind of stuff before but was wondering if anyone
had any official patch for this kind of stuff.

The nicety under consideration is having the mod_proxy module do
X retries every Y seconds instead of failing immediately.  This
would allow a backend Apache httpd do a stop/start without any
downtime apparent to the client besides the connection breaks
from the stop.  Depending on how much preloading is done at the
parent httpd, a start could take 5-10 seconds, and during this
time it would be cool if the proxy could just queue up requests.

Anyone does this with some nice ProxyTimeout ProxyRetry config
options?  Thanks.

-- Joshua
Joshua Chamas			        Chamas Enterprises Inc.
NodeWorks >> free web link monitoring	Huntington Beach, CA  USA