Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Stefán Freyr Stefánsson <st...@decode.is> on 2000/08/03 11:32:19 UTC

Stripping Tomcat.

Hello.

I'm wondering if there is anybody out there who can possibly help me.  The
thing is that I have a project that requires a small web server be
integrated into a server type of application.  We would like to use Tomcat
because that way we would have all the things we need in a web server plus
the ability to use JSP and servlets.  What we need to do then is strip
Tomcat down to it's core.  We only want the Java code but not the native
connectors and stuff like that.

I would like to ask if there is anybody who could help me get started with
that.  Anything special I should know?  Any pointers?  I'm not used to doing
things like this so any help would be greatly appreciated.  Documentation,
class diagrams, anything that may help me in stripping Tomcat down to the
HTTP server and JSP/Servlet engine.  Also a description of the directory
structure of the source code of Tomcat would be great... I've found many
folders within the "src" folder which contain the same packages but
different classes and such... so I'm a little bit lost in what is what...
for example: the folder "j2ee" contains the package org.apache.tomcat.*
(within that there are many packages like "core", "shell" and so on).  But
the folder "share" also contains this package... and more.  What is what and
which is where???

We use JBuilder3 as our development tool here and what I would like to do
above all is to have Tomcat in a specific project so I could just compile it
from within JBuilder (the stripped version of it I mean).  I know this may
be something pretty hard to achive but so be it, maybe we can, maybe we
can't.

Again... Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks, Stefan Freyr
- Did you know that in the new IP protocol (IPv6) there are enough IP
addresses to give each protone on earth an IP address!  That's just about
3.7 million billion IP addresses per each square meter on the face of the
earth.  Now that's a lot of IP!