Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> on 2002/07/12 16:04:34 UTC

Documentation and abbreviations

Hi All,

this is mostly a pedantic issue.  But one thing that bugs me about much
of the existing cocoon documentation is the style in which
Cocoon-specific abbreviations are used.  A good example:

http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/userdocs/xsp/index.html

The most basic question is "What does XSP stand for?"  From there, one
could almost guess what it is essentially.  My suggestion to
documentation writers is that when using an abbreviation think "Is the
standard Java developer using Cocoon for the first time going to know
what this means".

My suggestion in the case they won't, use an abbreviation introduction
for the first use in the document as follows:

---

Here will soon appear an overview of the user perspective of eXtensible
Server Pages (XSP).

---

from then on its safe to use the abbreviation and the reader will know
what you mean.

I believe that doing this will prevent Cocoon documentation from reading
like an eyechart ;-)

-Andy

Re: Documentation and abbreviations

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Steven Noels wrote:

> Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
>
>> Here is my first entry :-)
>>
>> <glossary>
>>   <entry>
>>       <phrase>Cocoon Syndrome</phrase>
>>        <meaning>The tendancy whenever anything regarding
>> documentation to focus on a tool for doing the documentation function
>>                         than actually producing content.  Generally
>> resulting in long threads with good ideas that will probably never be
>>                         implemented, however no actual documentation.
>> It is preferrable for these ideas to require far more effort than they
>>                         would actually save.         </menaing>
>>    </entry>
>> </glossary>
>

> <treatment>forrest-dev@xml.apache.org</treatment>

bzzzzt.  A tool does not treat cocoon syndrome.  More tools (especially
undocumented tools) without documentation are the very etymology of
cocoon syndrome :-)

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
>
>> Steven Noels wrote:
>>

>>> *All* instances? Hm. Wouldn't that be troublesome to read? Reminds
>>> me of Wiki webs where people where triggerhappy with hyperreferences.
>>>
>>> A thesaurus of some sorts, easily reachable from each page, might
>>> perhaps already be enough.
>>>
>>> </Steven>
>>

>> Here is my first entry :-)
>

> Please resubmit, the xml is not well formed ;-PPP

Perhaps we could work on a resubmission tool that would simulate me
smacking you as I fix the tag and resend it
Lets identify the Avalon components.

NicolaKenSmacker (extends Smacker which extends AbstractSmacker which
extends ViolentResponse which extends AbstractViolentResponse which
extends ActionResponse which extends AbstractActionResponse which
extends Response which extends Component)

TagFixer (...see above...kinda like that only supports the TagInterface)

SarcasticMailAction...  ;-)

:-D

-Andy

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> Steven Noels wrote:
>

>> *All* instances? Hm. Wouldn't that be troublesome to read? Reminds me
>> of Wiki webs where people where triggerhappy with hyperreferences.
>>
>> A thesaurus of some sorts, easily reachable from each page, might
>> perhaps already be enough.
>>
>> </Steven>
>

> Here is my first entry :-)

Please resubmit, the xml is not well formed ;-PPP

> <glossary>
>   <entry>
>       <phrase>Cocoon Syndrome</phrase>
>        <meaning>The tendancy whenever anything regarding documentation
> to focus on a tool for doing the documentation function
>                         than actually producing content.  Generally
> resulting in long threads with good ideas that will probably never be
>                         implemented, however no actual documentation. It
> is preferrable for these ideas to require far more effort than they
>                         would actually save.         </menaing>
                                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>    </entry>
> </glossary>

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Documentation and abbreviations

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

Posted by Bert Van Kets <we...@classicfighters.com>.
At 15:32 12/07/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Bert Van Kets wrote:
>
>>this is a great idea if implemented properly.  I hate being moved to a
>>new page just clicking on a link on an abbreviation.
>>I see different implementations
>>1. a link to a footnote on the same place where the abbreviation is
>>explained.  At least the user would stay on the same page.
>>2. a javascript alert that gives the full explanation
>>3. use of the title attribute
>>(http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/global.html#adef-title), but then
>>there is a non-functioning link on the abbreviation
>>4. a link to a new window and anchor containing the explanation, perhaps
>>sized using the JavaScript window.open command
>>5. a link and anchor in the same window (beurk) definitely a -1 from me
>

><acronym title="eXtensible Server Pages">XSP</acronym>
>
>See
>http://diveintomark.org/archives/2002/07/02.html#day_17_defining_acronyms
>for more goods.
>
>Tony

That's a great tip
Thanks,
Bert

Re: Documentation and abbreviations

Posted by Tony Collen <tc...@hist.umn.edu>.

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
> From: Bert Van Kets [mailto:bert@vankets.com]
>
> At 16:19 12/07/2002 +0200, you wrote:
> >Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> >>Hi All,
> >>this is mostly a pedantic issue.  But one thing that bugs me about
much
> >>of the existing cocoon documentation is the style in which
> >>Cocoon-specific abbreviations are used.  A good example:
> >>http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/userdocs/xsp/index.html
> >>The most basic question is "What does XSP stand for?"  From there,
one
> >>could almost guess what it is essentially.  My suggestion to
> >>documentation writers is that when using an abbreviation think "Is
the
> >>standard Java developer using Cocoon for the first time going to
know
> >>what this means".
> >>My suggestion in the case they won't, use an abbreviation
introduction
> >>for the first use in the document as follows:
> >>---
> >>Here will soon appear an overview of the user perspective of
eXtensible
> >>Server Pages (XSP).
> >>---
> >>from then on its safe to use the abbreviation and the reader will
know
> >>what you mean. I believe that doing this will prevent Cocoon
> >>documentation from reading like an eyechart ;-)
> >
> >Even better, we make a link creating Transformer that transforms all
> >instances of " xsp " to a link that links to a cocoon terms
dictionary.

> this is a great idea if implemented properly.  I hate being moved to a
new
> page just clicking on a link on an abbreviation.
> I see different implementations
> 1. a link to a footnote on the same place where the abbreviation is
> explained.  At least the user would stay on the same page.
> 2. a javascript alert that gives the full explanation
> 3. use of the title attribute
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/global.html#adef-title), but then
there
> is a non-functioning link on the abbreviation

???

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/global.html#h-7.5.4

PS Why not <acronym/>?

Vadim