Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Tomasz Judycki <tj...@tv.com.pl> on 2012/03/27 18:54:57 UTC

Re: Central European characters in PDF with Base14 fonts

I solved the problem last year and just described the solution:
http://tv.com.pl/stepbystep/fop_pdf/ National characters in PDF base fonts
using Apache™ FOP

Re: Central European characters in PDF with Base14 fonts

Posted by Tomasz Judycki <tj...@tv.com.pl>.
W dniu 2012-03-27 21:41, Glenn Adams pisze:
> you say in your document:
>
> "Regular PDF file does not support such extra characters in basic
> fonts and - according to common opinion - it's necessary to use
> embedded True type fonts. This will add extra 300KB to final PDF
> document."
>
> is the 300KB number just a guess or have you verified it?

Well, it's not exact number because final size depends on the size of
used fonts. However look here
http://www.aivosto.com/vbtips/pdf-optimize.html - at the bottom of this
article there is an example of pdf with and without embedded font, the
difference is 6 kB versus 273 kB.

> the use of embedded font does not, in general, include glyphs for all
> characters supported by a given font, but only those used in the document;

That's right, but - as I mentioned in my article - in several countries
in central Europe we use regular Latin alphabet enhanced with some extra
characters, so it's not possible to use Base14 font for most of the text
and mix it with a few additional characters from another font, because
it will not look good. It would look like mixing characters from Arial
and Times New Roman. Hence most of embedded font will be always used.

> i have a two comments and a question on your submission:
>
> (1) you use tabs in your changes to source materials (e.g., the
> Helvetica*.xml files); these need to be replaced with SPACE characters
> only;

I didn't noticed that, I'm not the author of that changes. Does it make
any difference? It's just xml.

> (2) to make this change only for Helvetica is sub-optimal, and will
> cause interoperability problems, so all of the Base14 fonts should be
> modified at the same time;

That's right. This is just a part of final solution. By the way - I'm
not sure if this mechanism works with all Base14 fonts. I used to have
problems with Courier several years ago when I implemented that solution
in another technology.

> (3) does your changes to the font files include kerning data updates?
> if not, then it probably should

It's hard coded in PDFFactory.java. I'm ashamed of that but due to my
limited time I was not able to find a better way to do it.

Regards,

Tomasz Judycki

Textus Virtualis
Al. Wilanowska 313
02-665 Warszawa
tel/fax (48 22) 879 82 00
http://www.tv.com.pl

Re: Central European characters in PDF with Base14 fonts

Posted by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>.
On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 2:57 PM, Tomasz Judycki <tj...@tv.com.pl> wrote:

> **
> W dniu 2012-03-27 21:41, Glenn Adams pisze:
>
> (1) you use tabs in your changes to source materials (e.g., the
> Helvetica*.xml files); these need to be replaced with SPACE characters only;
>
> I didn't noticed that, I'm not the author of that changes. Does it make
> any difference? It's just xml.

it is a convention followed in FOP source materials

Re: Central European characters in PDF with Base14 fonts

Posted by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>.
you say in your document:

"Regular PDF file does not support such extra characters in basic fonts and
- according to common opinion - it's necessary to use embedded True type
fonts. This will add extra 300KB to final PDF document."

is the 300KB number just a guess or have you verified it? the use of
embedded font does not, in general, include glyphs for all characters
supported by a given font, but only those used in the document;

in any case, i agree that FOP should attempt to support additional
non-ASCII national characters in the Base14 fonts;

i have a two comments and a question on your submission:

(1) you use tabs in your changes to source materials (e.g., the
Helvetica*.xml files); these need to be replaced with SPACE characters only;

(2) to make this change only for Helvetica is sub-optimal, and will cause
interoperability problems, so all of the Base14 fonts should be modified at
the same time;

(3) does your changes to the font files include kerning data updates? if
not, then it probably should

regards,
glenn