Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by cyang2010 <ys...@hotmail.com> on 2010/11/19 21:58:15 UTC

Need Middleware between search client and solr?

Hi,

I am new to the lucene/solr.  I have a very general question, and hope to
hear your recommendation.

Do you need a middleware/module between your search client and solr server?
The response message is very solr specific.   Do you need to translate it to
application object model and return back to search client?   In that case, i
am thinking to have a search module in middleware server.   it will
route/decorate the search request to solr server, and after getting solr
response then package in an application object list return back to search
client.   Does it make sense?

My concern is whether it is unnecessarily add a network layer and slow down
the search speed?  But from application point of view, i see that is
necessary.   What do you think?

Thanks,

cy

Re: Need Middleware between search client and solr?

Posted by Gora Mohanty <go...@mimirtech.com>.
On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 2:28 AM, cyang2010 <ys...@hotmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> Do you need a middleware/module between your search client and solr server?
> The response message is very solr specific.   Do you need to translate it to
> application object model and return back to search client?   In that case, i
> am thinking to have a search module in middleware server.   it will
> route/decorate the search request to solr server, and after getting solr
> response then package in an application object list return back to search
> client.   Does it make sense?

I believe that having a front-end to Solr is a very typical use case. As you
refer to middleware above, introducing another layer between the front-end,
and Solr search on the back-end, might or might not make sense, depending
on your requirements. If you are using a web development framework, there
are already implementations of many such middleware layers that provide an
interface to Solr in a manner more "natural" to users of the framework. Though
Solr search is usually blazingly fast, the overhead of such middleware should be
reasonable compared to the advantages it provides.

> My concern is whether it is unnecessarily add a network layer and slow down
> the search speed?  But from application point of view, i see that is
> necessary.   What do you think?
[...]

Well, presumably, one's search requirements stem from a website/application
that also provides other functionalities. In such a case, a layer over
Solr seems
almost unavoidable.

Regards,
Gora

Re: Need Middleware between search client and solr?

Posted by Jan Høydahl / Cominvent <ja...@cominvent.com>.
Nope. But it's quite affordable if search is important to you.
For an open sourced middleware, check out www.sesat.no

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com