Posted to user@pig.apache.org by William Oberman <ob...@civicscience.com> on 2011/07/08 20:57:38 UTC

tar.gz to cdh3 package

I tried out hadoop/pig in my test environment using tar.gz's.  Before I roll
out to production, I thought I'd try the cdh3 pacakges, as that might be
easier to maintain (since I'm not a sysadmin).  Following cloudera's install
guide worked like a charm, but I couldn't get pig to run until I did this:

sudo -u hdfs hadoop fs -mkdir /tmp
sudo -u hdfs hadoop fs -chmod 777 /tmp

Maybe I missed the hows & whys of that setting in the install guide/forums,
but just wanted to give a heads up to anyone else that gets "ERROR 6002:
Unable to obtain a temporary path." and is puzzled at why...

will

Re: tar.gz to cdh3 package

Posted by William Oberman <ob...@civicscience.com>.
I definitely missed that piece of documentation, thanks!

So for all people who work like me and google error codes as they happen
(vs. reading the manual like they should), I'll once again mention that if
you get "ERROR 6002: Unable to obtain a temporary path." to read the section
of the manual Daniel pointed out below, and if you're not a HDFS expert
these commands add a /tmp (the default location for pig) with permissions
for anyone to do anything:

Re: tar.gz to cdh3 package

Posted by Daniel Dai <da...@hortonworks.com>.
Check