Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Christopher Hartung <Ch...@rossmann.de> on 2007/06/29 10:43:39 UTC

Using Tomcat 5.5.23 with jdk 1.6.0_1

Hi there,

we are using Tomcat 5.5.23 with jdk 1.6.0_1. But sometimes we get errors
like this:

#
# An unexpected error has been detected by Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x0000002a958a666a, pid=8528, tid=1082333536
#
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (1.6.0-b105 mixed mode)
# Problematic frame:
# V  [libjvm.so+0x22066a]
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as hs_err_pid8528.log
#
#   http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp
#

After this the hole instance crashed

Our system is CentOS 5, 64 -Bit, jdk 1.6.0_1 64 -Bit

The Application is written for JDK 1.6.0_1

do you know some problems like this?

thx for your answers

so long
chris

Re: Using Tomcat 5.5.23 with jdk 1.6.0_1

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Using Tomcat 5.5.23 with jdk 1.6.0_1

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
FYI: surname follows the familiar so if my name was 'Cat Dog' you would say
Hi Cat (familiar)
or
Hello Mr Dog (formal)

Glad to hear that worked for you..

'Cat Dog'

Posted by Li <am...@gmail.com>.
Hi Caldarale,

Thanks for your comments. I had the same compatibility problem on Fedora, by
copying the tool.jar - although it is not a good idea- it worked out.
Anyway, thanks for your comments.

Regards

Li

On 6/29/07, Caldarale, Charles R <Ch...@unisys.com> wrote:

> > From: Li [mailto:ampyx.li@gmail.com]
> > Subject: Re: Using Tomcat 5.5.23 with jdk 1.6.0_1
> >
> > Defaultly tomcat 5.5 only support up to JDK5. If you wanna run your
> > application which was written by JDK 6, you can use Tomcat 6 + JDK 6.
>
> Not true.  JDK 6 is fully upward compatible with JDK 5.
>
> > If you really wanna use Tomcat 5.5 with JDK 6 in Linux, you
> > may have to check if you need copy the tools.jar from JDK6
> > to tomcat common/lib.
>
> Also not true, and a very bad idea.  Neither Tomcat 5.5 nor Tomcat 6
> require tools.jar; both versions will happily run on just a JRE.
>
> The JVM crash is, by definition, caused by faulty hardware, the OS, or a
> flaw in the JVM; pure Java programs cannot crash the JVM (although
> native code can).  In the past, the -server mode of the JVM has been
> less stable than -client; if the hardware checks out, you might try
> running in -client mode to see if the problem disappears.
>
> - Chuck

Small win by playing smart
Big win by playing honest

RE: Using Tomcat 5.5.23 with jdk 1.6.0_1

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Li <am...@gmail.com>.
Defaultly tomcat 5.5 only support up to JDK5. If you wanna run your
application which was written by JDK 6, you can use Tomcat 6 + JDK 6.

If you really wanna use Tomcat 5.5 with JDK 6 in Linux, you may have to
check if you need copy the tools.jar from JDK6 to tomcat common/lib. It
should work.

Regards

Li

On 6/29/07, Christopher Hartung <Ch...@rossmann.de> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> we are using Tomcat 5.5.23 with jdk 1.6.0_1. But sometimes we get errors
> like this:
>
> #
> # An unexpected error has been detected by Java Runtime Environment:
> #
> #  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x0000002a958a666a, pid=8528, tid=1082333536
> #
> # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (1.6.0-b105 mixed mode)
> # Problematic frame:
> # V  [libjvm.so+0x22066a]
> #
> # An error report file with more information is saved as
> hs_err_pid8528.log
> #
> # If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
> #   http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp
> #
>
> After this the hole instance crashed
>
> Our system is CentOS 5, 64 -Bit, jdk 1.6.0_1 64 -Bit
>
> The Application is written for JDK 1.6.0_1
>
> do you know some problems like this?
>
> thx for your answers
>
> so long
> chris

Small win by playing smart
Big win by playing honest

Re: Using Tomcat 5.5.23 with jdk 1.6.0_1

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
if you have the whole dump we can look into it deeper, my guess is that
its a JVM bug or a combo of JVM/OS

Filip