Posted to dev@aries.apache.org by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/23 08:11:40 UTC

Re: svn commit: r926162 [1/2] - in /incubator/aries/trunk: application/application-api/ application/application-bundle/ application/application-converters/ application/application-converters/src/main/resources/OSGI-INF/blueprint/ application/applicat

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 04:04, Joe Bohn <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Guilluame,
>
> It seems that there is at least one issue with this change that I've
> noticed in our sample assemblies regarding the jndi bundle (see the error
> below).  I'm not sure if there are any more but I suspect that there are.
>  Perhaps we need to find some mechanism to verify that the generated bundles
> are consistent after a global change such as this.

Ideally, integration tests should catch those errors I'd say.  I don't
really see a better mechanism.

> In the case of jndi, it seems that we are ending up with a manifest for the
> jndi bundle that now includes an import-package for
> 'org.osgi.service.jndi.services' that did not exist prior to the change.
>  This is really strange because it seems that the intention of the original
> configuration was preserved with the change (with the
> 'org.osgi.service.jndi.services' specified in the export-package - perhaps
> the omission of the import-package * is somehow related? - but changing that
> didn't seem to help).  However that import-package was not included in the
> generated manifest prior to this change.  In my case, simply removing this
> package from the export package in the pom resulted in it being removed from
> the import in the generated bundle manifest and resolved the issue when
> starting the jndi bundle.  That got me to some more error on the sample
> bundles that I think are also related to this change.
>
> I also think it would be helpful to provide some more information on
> structure of the properties for this function that should be used in various
> scenarios - either on the dev list, in the JIRA, or on the wiki.   It seems
> that some of the properties are very similar in name and function but are
> apparently fulfilling different purposes such as 'aries.osgi.import' vs.
> 'aries.osgi.import.pkg' and 'aries.osgi.export' vs. 'aries.osgi.export.pkg'.
>
> Yeah, i'll take some time to do that.  I may start by putting some doc on
the parent pom itself.

> For reference here is the current error when attempting to start the jndi
> bundle.  You can see the same error starting either the Blog or AriesTrader
> sample equinox assemblies.
>
> org.osgi.framework.BundleException: The bundle could not be resolved.
> Reason: Missing Constraint: Import-Package: org.osgi.service.jndi.services;
> version="0.0.0"
>        at
> org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.getResolverError(AbstractBundle.java:1313)
>        at
> org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.getResolutionFailureException(AbstractBundle.java:1297)
>        at
> org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleHost.startWorker(BundleHost.java:309)
> etc...

I'll try to fix that one asap.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@gmail.com>.
I'm learning a little more as I try to get the samples working again.
See comments in-line below.

Joe Bohn wrote:

> Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 04:04, Joe Bohn <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Guilluame,
>>>
>>> It seems that there is at least one issue with this change that I've
>>> noticed in our sample assemblies regarding the jndi bundle (see the
>>> error
>>> below).  I'm not sure if there are any more but I suspect that there
>>> are.
>>>  Perhaps we need to find some mechanism to verify that the generated
>>> bundles
>>> are consistent after a global change such as this.
>>>

>> Ideally, integration tests should catch those errors I'd say.  I don't
>> really see a better mechanism.
>
> Perhaps just running the samples would help - that's how I discovered
> this and some other issues.  I wonder if we can automate some of this to
> make it easier to discover potential issues?
>
> Also, can you help me understand the current state of the change
> (particularly regarding the samples)?  It seems that you were setting
> the properties and removing the maven-bundle-plugin configuration in
> many cases.  However, at least in the samples, I noticed that you did
> not remove the bundle-plugin configuration or add the properties.
> Unfortunately, the presence of the maven-bundle-plugin and particular
> configuration changes in the parent pom produces changes in the
> generated manifests of the samples - with the result being that they are
> now very broken.  Are you planning to continue updating the samples to
> get them working again?

I'm having success fixing some of the sample bundles - so I imagine I'll
go ahead and check in those changes even if we plan to remove the
maven-bundle-plugin configuration in the individual samples - at least
it improves things for now.

> One other issue that I noticed after this change is the behavior when
> installing EBA applications.  When installing an EBA into an Equinox
> assembly the individual bundles are no longer started.  I see that there
> were several application updates included in this change that may not be
> related to the bundle plugin manifest generation.  Were these changes
> intentionally included and is the behavior that I'm seeing the expected
> result?

This seems to have been just a result of the errors in the bundles which
prevented some from being resolved.  Apparently, if all of the bundles
in an EBA are not resolved, none of them will start - and that seems to
be what is happening in this case.   Once I fixed the bundles so that
they could be resolved then all of the bundles are started when the EBA
is installed.

--
Joe

Posted by Alasdair Nottingham <no...@apache.org>.
I would suggest packages with internal or impl in their names should
be hidden. These are the conventions I have seen the most for private
content. I don't think we follow it everywhere.

I'm not sure I like putting private in the package name since it is a
keyword in Java, but that is just a personal view.

Alasdair

--
Alasdair Nottingham
not@apache.org

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@gmail.com>.

--
Joe

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@gmail.com>.
Joe Bohn wrote:
> Joe Bohn wrote:
>> There are definitely still issues.   I fixed AriesTrader but there are
>> still issues with Blog and I'm not sure about the other
>> samples/tutorials.
>>
>> I'd still like to understand if you are planning to continue your
>> changes by removing the individual maven-bundle-plugin configuration
>> from the poms in samples and a few other areas.  From what I can see
>> these projects still include the maven-bundle-plugin configuration:
>> - eba-maven-plugin
>> - jpa
>> - samples
>> - tutorials
>>
>> I'm not sure exactly what the problems are with the Blog sample. It
>> may be related some poor package names and I suspect it will require
>> restructuring some of them.  For example, several of the bundles
>> include export package of "!org.apache.aries.samples.*".  However, to
>> get the maven-bundle-plugin to generate the correct output we now need
>> to add Private-Package entries for these packages.  This broad package
>> name covers much more than it should given that all of the packages
>> start with "org.apache.aries.samples".  I suspect the real fix is to
>> rework the package names so that the packages can be more specific in
>> these configuration parameters to the maven-bundle-plugin.   Zoe, can
>> you take a look at blog?
>
> Zoe,
>
> I have a version of Blog that works again.   I can check it in if you'd
> like me to.  I made the following changes:
> - Added some missing Private-Packages to get bundles to deploy correctly
> - Added "biz" to the package name for items in blog-biz
> - Renamed these api packages (and all references):
>   - "org.apache.aries.blog.persistence.api" =>
> "org.apache.aries.blog.api.persistence.api"
>   - "org.apache.aries.blog.persistence.comment.api" =>
> "org.apache.aries.blog.api.persistence.comment.api"
>
> I don't think that we want the ".api" at the end of the packages - it's
> redundant - but the way that I did the move in svn prevents me from
> doing the second move necessary to remove the final api - so I would
> need to check in this way and then we can move them again and drop the
> trailing ".api".
>
> WDYT?
> Joe

I decided to go ahead and check in this change in rev. 926778 under
ARIES-264.  You can revert the change if you'd like.  I decided that at
this point a working sample was better than a broken one.

Joe

--
Joe

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@gmail.com>.