Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com> on 2018/09/20 16:17:38 UTC

[mentors] Including code under MIT license that is modified

Hi,

I have a question about code under the MIT license that is modified. In
particular, I have a sketch of a Language Server Protocol server supporting
Java, based on the NetBeans' support for Java.

In order to use this, one needs to bind the server to some other IDE, e.g.
Visual Studio Code. For this, an extension for that IDE is needed. For VS
Code specifically, I took a sample extension:
https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode-extension-samples/tree/master/lsp-sample

I tried to adjust it to work for the experimental server. The original
sample is under the MIT license:
https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode-extension-samples/blob/master/lsp-sample/License.txt

My question is whether I can include the extension's source in git and
(source) release, and if yes, what is the proper way to do that (what
should be in LICENSE and NOTICE).

Thanks,
    Jan

Re: [mentors] Including code under MIT license that is modified

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 2:16 PM Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 4:17 PM Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > ...I have a question about code under the MIT license that is modified...
>
> Do you mean that the code will be modified after being forked to the
> NetBeans repository, or that the license has been modified?

Code under MIT forked and modified.

> If that's the former I think the "Treatment of Third-Party Works"
> section at https://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html applies and
> as per https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html it's fine to
> redistribute MIT licensed code.
>
> IMO it's best to put such code in a specific folder ("forks" or
> "third-party" maybe) to point people to its origin as needed, and it
> might require a mention in the NOTICE file - or not, that file should
> stay minimal.

While technically this will be a fork, I don't think it makes much sense to
use "forked" or "third-party" (see below). The current proposed directory
name is simply "vscode". I'll add a README pointing to the originals.

> Note that in general it's much preferred to make improvements to the
> original code rather than fork it, if that's possible - I suppose you
> know that ;-)

In this case, what I forked is a sample extension for VS Code, and adjusted
it for NetBeans. I doubt pushing the NetBeans changes back to the sample
would be accepted. So, while technically this is a fork of that sample
code, there's no real "upstream".

Thanks,
    Jan

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.