Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Makrand <ma...@gmail.com> on 2016/09/21 13:09:34 UTC

Creating VM from .vhd

Hello,

I am wondering what is the best way to create a VM if all you have is a
.vhd file. This .vhd file is created  on clients XENserver infra (I am not
very sure on this...it can be hyperV as well.)

The cloud end also have XENserver as hypervisor. I already have the .vhd
accessible on web-server and anyone on internet can download the .vhd using
the link like: -

https://webserver/dir/abc.vhd.

I know one can register the template using .vhd and then can create VM.

1) What changes needs to be done at VM (from which the .vhd is derived) to
tune is according to current cloud environment? Especially, if the source
hypervisor for vhd is hyperV?

2) Also, is there any other way to create VM from vhd file?

3) If I export VM in in .ova or .ovf format, can those be implemented in
cloudstack using such formats?

--
Makrand

Re: Creating VM from .vhd

Posted by Rafael Weingärtner <ra...@gmail.com>.
1) What changes needs to be done at VM (from which the .vhd is derived) to
tune is according to current cloud environment? Especially, if the source
hypervisor for vhd is hyperV?

You should remove hyperV’s drivers and install the ones required by the
hypervisor you intend to use.

2) Also, is there any other way to create VM from vhd file?
Registering the “.vhd” as a template and then spinning a VM from it

3) If I export VM in in .ova or .ovf format, can those be implemented in
cloudstack using such formats?

Currently, only if you intend to use this template with VMware systems.
Otherwise, you have to stick with hypervisors' supported format such as
.vhd, COW, RAW, TAR and others.

--
Rafael Weingärtner