Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by LuKreme <kr...@kreme.com> on 2009/04/28 16:20:08 UTC

Stop Counting!

I was thinking that, particularly for people who trash messages over a
certain threshold and are worried about the SA overhead, a stop-
counting threshold might be a good idea.

So, for example, for my personal mail I could set stop_counting at
7.0, once a message hits 7.0 (with bayes) SA simply passes it along
with a score of 7.0+ (to indicate it stopped processing) and is done.

Or is this a silly idea?

--
Everybody hates a tourist, especially one who thinks it's all such
	laugh. Yeah, and the chip stains and grease will come out in the

Re: Stop Counting!

Posted by LuKreme <kr...@kreme.com>.
On 28-Apr-2009, at 08:27, John ffitch wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, LuKreme wrote:
>> I was thinking that, particularly for people who trash messages
>> over a certain threshold and are worried about the SA overhead, a
>> stop-counting threshold might be a good idea.
>>
>> So, for example, for my personal mail I could set stop_counting at
>> 7.0, once a message hits 7.0 (with bayes) SA simply passes it along
>> with a score of 7.0+ (to indicate it stopped processing) and is done.
>
> As long as you do not have negative scores.

Oh right.  Must stop posting before coffee.

--
<Athene> we all have our moments when we lose it
<Slyspy> the key is though, to conceal the evidence before the police

Re: Stop Counting!

Posted by John ffitch <jp...@codemist.co.uk>.

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, LuKreme wrote:

> I was thinking that, particularly for people who trash messages over a
> certain threshold and are worried about the SA overhead, a stop-counting
> threshold might be a good idea.
>
> So, for example, for my personal mail I could set stop_counting at 7.0, once
> a message hits 7.0 (with bayes) SA simply passes it along with a score of
> 7.0+ (to indicate it stopped processing) and is done.

As long as you do not have negative scores.

This has come up before, and I seem to remember that the cost of sorting
rules into order was considered more expensive than brute force and not
attempting this optimisation

But others may have better memories....

==John ff